Saturday, July 3, 2010

Not in the Plan

Gosh, another three days since I've updated!

Thursday I finally got the gumption to start cleaning up the rejected hardware cabinet downstairs at work. I went through it when I first started in 2006, logging everything. Just last year I updated it a bit, organizing by Rejection Report number. Thursday I spent the entire day re-bagging one set of numbers and grouping them more succinctly. And this, I continued on Friday. I'm glad I will be able to say I've done my best with it by the time I leave next week. :)

As I was sitting blankly in the living room after dinner, Meg wanted to watch something. It suddenly occurred to her that we never watched the final episode of MASH... after we had finished viewing the regular seasons (July 14, 2009!). It was great to watch (it always is), but it made me stay up a bit later than I wanted. After lunch on Friday (yesterday), I took the dog on a walk with my camera, and then took a nap from 3 to 7 pm... it made me feel much better! :) I woke up with an idea for a story and quickly had a snack for dinner and then started writing a tiny bit. But the rest of the evening was occupied with "Mansfield Park" from Netflix. It's a Jane Austen story I've never read or watched before, and I enjoyed it very much.

I also came up with a last-minute plan for today: I wanted to go to Friday Harbor in the San Juan Islands and go to the whale museum and the national park they have up there. Mom and Dad wanted to come too, so we all headed off at 10 this morning, despite the clouds of doom.

But by the time we turned off of I-5 for Anacortes, there were blue skies and sunshine ahead! We thought getting there an hour before the ferry left would be a sufficient leeway for time, but it wasn't. That's because this is the 3rd of July and Friday Harbor is awfully popular. It's an hour ferry ride, and the next one leaving wouldn't be til 3pm... (and it cost $80! shniekies!) So I thought a drive down Whidbey Island would be neat instead. We ended up eating our picnic at Deception Pass State Park, which I've also been wanting to see. The forest was incredible (had very large trees) and I saw a chippie up close who was much interested in the chip crumbs I scattered. On the drive down the island, there were horses and wheat fields, bright sunshine and crisp air, a couple of bald eagles soaring and a couple deer in a field of flowers. It was beautiful. We listened to a disc of my audio Bible... about 40 Psalms... and it was perfect as we drove through the prairie land with sweeping views of the straight and sound. We got to the Mukilteo Ferry right as it was ready to load, so we hardly spent a half hour getting across. Dad and I were barely able to fit in a Backgammon best of 3 games in, but we did; Dad won. None of us had ever been across this point before, so we all had a good time.


We even have beautiful skies here at home now too. I put out the flag and helped Mom go get some groceries for tomorrow. Gosh, I'm tired!

Jp

No comments: