Monday, May 21, 2012

Sunday!

What a day! Church was very good; great to see everyone again. Since some family were in town, there wasn't any small group yet again... but someday we'll meet up, I'm sure. :)

Just before we were dismissed, Aku's mom announced she had a couple free tickets to the symphony! Aku (from small group) is a member of a youth symphony in the region, and they were joining with members of the symphony for a "Best and Brightest" concert that afternoon. So I was more than glad to take her up on the offer.

After a breakfast at Ricky's (Spanish omelet!) and a stop at home to change into something nice, I met them back at church at 1 to ride with them to the concert. It was an hour-and-a-half program, including Fanfare for the Common Man by Copland, two piano concertos (Mozart, Saint-Saens), the first performed by an eighth-grader and the second by a 16-year old, both winners of some sort of competition. Gosh, they were good! Playing along with the symphony from memory! Then a huge orchestra involving three local youth symphonies and the San Diego Symphony, performed Brahms's Symphony No. 1 in C minor, and then an encore piece (which was planned). What fun to listen to!

I got back home around 5ish, decided to clean up my room, doing the laundry and my sheets, and washing my dishes. A shower felt really good, since it was a warm day. Once I got everything into the dryer, I took off to have a special fun dinner at Red Lobster... and on the way I saw the solar eclipse shining between the banks of silvery clouds! Wow, was that cool! I had the image of a crescent-shaped sun in my eyes for a few moments, but it was worth it!

Jw

No comments: