Sunday, April 8, 2012

Up to Date

I've gotten tired enough of seeing that post from March to make me sit down and update for the first week of April. It was very busy... and very tiring! I didn't take a nap until the day my new bow was delivered... and I think that was Thursday. That made getting up in the mornings very hard.

Sunday, April 1st, I did another hike at Mission Trails after church. Didn't have any precise plan... I just kept walking. Crossed a river, getting my hiking shoes wet as I trudged up the wide, gravel road to the first hill. Stopped at the picnic table at the top and looked out over another trail that wound its way up to the summit of the nearby South Mt. Fortuna. Put my dry socks on as I got ready to go, and soon I was tackling a bit of a steep trail. What a view! It dwarfed the hike I did the week before... I was able to look down on that little zig-zagging path even before I got to the high part. After a moment at the summit, especially enjoying the distant view of San Diego and Point Loma, I continued down the other side of the mountain and around along the San Diego river to the Old Mission Dam, then 2 miles on the road to the visitor center and back to my car. It took several hours, hurt my feet and burned my forearms and neck. But I loved it!

That night at small group we ordered dinner from Chili's and finished watching Fiddler on the Roof. A great day, but I'm sure it set me up to be tired the entire week. No fresh start this time!

Monday the 2nd, after my meeting with the LT on 32nd St, and after messing around online, I watched the Bette Davis movie that was due back at the library the next day: Dark Victory. It was a little dark, but I enjoyed a few scenes very much.

Tuesday the 3rd, I went right to the library after school and stayed longer than I planned. Talked with my parents, had a turkey burger at the grill across the street, then met up with Selassie and Kristin from small group. They met me at home for a trip downtown to see The Sound of Music on the big screen. We parked a couple blocks away (which is pretty good for downtown), and I bought a big bag of popcorn for all three of us. It was magnificent, as always, but it sure went late. The guy from the theater doing trivia beforehand took way too long.

Wednesday the 4th, the same threesome of us met at Kristin's apartment for another afternoon of entertainment: we watched all four hours of the 2007 Sci-Fi TV miniseries adaptation of The Wizard of Oz... called Tin Man. I loved all the subtle references to the movie and thought their unique ideas were interesting at the very least. It certainly held my attention all the way through. I watched Bambi from the library before talking with my Darling.

Thursday the 5th, after the interview, and after looking at the new recurve bow I won on eBay (my original has bent limbs from my not being careful) that arrived in the mail (which woke me from my short nap), I went to church for a special "Maundy" service where we sang, listened to readings about the Last Supper (performed by a few of the elders), and shared a wonderful dinner of chicken & rice w/green beans and salad. I even had two tiny, delicious tarts for dessert.

I wanted to go to the "Tenebrae" service on Good Friday, the 6th, but alas! I had watch. The entire day was taken up with the Navy... except for the hour or two when I relaxed on my bed at home before that watch.

Saturday the 7th, I finally managed to do all my laundry. Went to the library for a good while, managed to do a PRT run at Liberty Station as well... that felt really good. Got dinner at Trader Joe's, took a relaxing shower, watched Dumbo before chat, and then Captains of the Clouds (1942, Cagney - a technicolor war film about the Royal Canadian Air Force) during chat. I especially loved the accompanying shorts (game hunting in the Rockies... in color! and a couple related Bugs Bunny cartoons).

Sunday the 8th, I got up in time for the intimate and early 7:30 Easter service on the lawn in front of the church (in the cool air and bright sunshine). Then there was a pancake & sausage breakfast served inside, and I had a great time chatting with small group friends. I stayed for the regular service at 9:30, and was very pleased when they started off with a singing of Christ the Lord is Risen Today! A wonderful morning! Back at home I watched The Mysterious Affair at Styles (from the library) and thoroughly enjoyed watching what frightened me so much when I was a kid. For lunch, and into the evening, I spent time over at Luke & Christine's house where we enjoyed a ham, mashed potatoes, beans, applesauce and just a tiny taste of strawberry cheesecake. :) We played a game after that, then started into our new book... Mere Christianity! Yay! :)

Jp

No comments: