Saturday, March 31, 2012

Fri & Sat

Friday afternoon was so fun! Christine, the head librarian at the Point Loma branch, picked me up at five and we drove downtown for an evening together. She wanted to see something with me, as her husband doesn't care much for plays or shows. For some reason, we figured it'd take a while to get downtown, but it only took about five minutes. The parking garage ticket I bought online had a start time of 5:30... so she drove me around and showed me the progress of the new central library being built south of the baseball field... goodness, it's huge and very impressive. They're building a massive dome that will have reading rooms at the top. I might have to come back here after I leave to see the completed structure in Summer 2013.

It didn't take long before we could park. She took me out to Panda Inn, a very nice sit-down Chinese restaurant on the fifth floor of the Horton Plaza Mall. We had lemon chicken, walnut shrimp, seafood fried rice, and a crab wonton appetizer. Goodness! And it was lovely to sit down and talk too. She started in libraries sort of by accident, during med school. It was while she helped out with Spanish-speaking patrons that she was encouraged to switch fields, and also where she met her husband, who works in library administration. So neat!

Then we saw "Rhythm of the Dance" at the Balboa Theater nearby. Along the same lines as the Irish "Riverdance" type, except without Michael Flatley. Christine mentioned that the lead dancer sort of had his kind of swagger though. :) It was great fun, and we both felt like tap-dancing our way out of the theater. She bought us each a cup of hot chocolate from Starbuck's on our way back to the car. What a glorious evening!

As for today, I slept in til 7am! And I took the day pretty easy. Volunteered for the last hour (1:30-2:30) when I came in to pick up Forster's A Passage to India (Navy reading list book), because the audiobooks were way backed up. Two cart-fulls in just an hour! Later on I watched a couple episodes of Foyle's War and was reminded how much I love it. Did manage to go shopping at Ralph's for a dozen eggs for 88 cents! Ann Marie, my landlord had pointed out the sale to me this morning when I cooked myself a couple. And milk & OJ were also on sale! :)

Jw

No comments: