Saturday, April 28, 2012

Thurs & Fri

I picked up Ken Burns's The Civil War (1990) from the library Thursday, and watched the first episode. Very impressed with the quality of every aspect. Civil War historian Shelby Foote was prominent... I'm a big fan, since I used him for my junior college paper on the Battle of Little Round Top in US Military History class in 2003.

I had the choice of seeing 2001, going to a symphony concert or seeing Casablanca again at the Mission Valley theater. The later won out... I couldn't stay away. I went early to try out a seafood restaurant nearby. King's Fish House was excellent! I tried fresh yellowtail with sides of grilled zucchini and fancy mac'n cheese. So good! I even finished it out with a little bit of cheesecake. The film was as fun as ever... and I enjoyed the fact that my Darling and I were seeing it on the same day.

Friday after class (got out kinda late because of the long final test) I came home, changed, got a chicken bowl at Chipotle for lunch, returned, watched Inglorious Basterds (2009) from the library, simply because I was curious... unfortunately. It was gruesome, as I expected, but I ended up admiring a German sergeant (who they brutally slaughtered) the most from the entire film. The only redeeming quality was that Hitler ended up getting shot several dozen times. Darn my curiosity.

After that I took a "nap"... starting at 6:30 or so and ending around midnight. A normal weekday's five-hour sleep. I think this was the 3rd or 4th time I've woken up really late to call Michael, but it hasn't happened in a long time. After we talked, I was hungry from missing dinner, so I drove to Denny's for a dinner/breakfast feast and took my book along for company. I actually ordered decaf coffee (for the first time, I think) and had two cups! It felt so good, late at night/early in the morning. Got back to sleep around 2:30 and woke up for real at 6am. So all in all, I did get over 8 hours! :)

Jw

No comments: