Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Another Weekend Slips By

They're all going by so fast.

Friday (the 13th) was a mucky day. Got home very late because of the Navy, and the weather matched the mood: it started pouring rain once I had sat down at my desk in my room. But at least it's always some sort of comfort to hear the pounding drops on the roof. I started watching some of the Chronological Donald Duck (1942-46) that I had found at the library. Love them all... so funny!

Saturday I also spent mostly indoors. It was my Duty Day, in name only. No watches, and all we had to do was call in for the morning muster. So I was awake early on. I'm pretty sure I wasted the whole of the day. Except for chat of course. :) To honor the significance of the day (April 14, 2012), I watched the German film "Titanic" (1943). Apparently there was a dashing & honorable German first mate on the ship who warned all the greedy, prideful and cowardly English about the looming disaster. He even made it to a lifeboat while heroically rescuing a small child. What an oddity!

Sunday morning I made it to church on time. I was up early enough to make myself eggs, but of course I waited until the last second to put the juice back and wipe off my pan. My landlady barked at me for using the kitchen while she was (it's pretty cramped), and I scurried out the door with a quick "sorry". The sermon was about Paul's struggles and imprisonment, and how he rested in the knowledge that he was doing God's will. It was incredibly good for me to hear, as I had been feeling a lethargy about my life in San Diego, one that I didn't like much. So I worshiped with my friends and hung out afterwords for their annual bake sale for sending their youth to summer camp. Back home, I had a burst of energy. After a quick lunch, I spent a good couple hours cleaning the kitchen... sweeping the floor and wiping down the cabinets, fridge, dishwasher and floor. Yes, that little bit took that long. It was very filthy. To rightfully relax after that, I watched lots more Donald.

Monday the 16th, all I managed to do was take a very long nap. Besides getting woken up suddenly by my landlady who was distressed at misplacing some things, I was very rested by the time I finally finished around 5pm. When I finished a snack, I got in the car and drove up near Miramar to get my new recurve bow set with an arrow rest and nock for the string. On the way back I went to the showing of Charade (1963) at the Clairemont theater. That was a lot of fun... even the girl selling the tickets remembered me. :)

Tuesday the 17th, I was very much upset about an issue with someone from class. Spent a little time sending messages back and forth on Facebook. Sooner or later it was later... I went out to Noodles & Co. for dinner and had a lovely conversation with Mom as I sat outside. Lovely weather... very bright and breezy. I then raced to the transit center at Old Town, caught the trolley, and then enjoyed It Happened One Night (1934) at the Gaslamp theater. That one never gets old! What a treat to be able to take in these good films on a big screen!

Today, Wednesday the 18th, I had a marvelous lunch of a PB & honey sandwich, watched more Donald, went to In & Out for a hamburger and put some Chipotle guacamole on it! Wow... that's delicious. And back home I watched Chaplin (1992 - Robert Downey Jr., about Charlie Chaplin). I thought it was very good. I had been thinking of getting it from the library for a while, and I'm glad I finally did. We'll see about the rest of today... maybe a nap.

Jw

No comments: