Sunday, March 18, 2012

Promise of a Great Day

This morning I slept until 7, when I woke to the sound of pounding rain on the window above my head. I laid still, listening and enjoying the comfort of my warm bed (it was cold enough last night for the lowest setting on my heated blanket). Woke up a couple more times, at nine and ten. The last too late for church. But I was completely rested. Made myself an egg (in my one-egg pan) and a bowl's worth of oatmeal in my pot (I don't bother with transferring it to a bowl) and took out my Memorization & Song Book I put together a few years ago and had myself a little bit of favorite scripture reading and hymn singing time that was very good.

Right now it's very windy with bright sunshine and a few, high, wispy clouds. I think I shall endeavor to stay home today for a change (until small group), and read and watch movies. I so enjoy listening to the birdies sing right outside my window... ah, Spring!

Friday I spent 3 hours at the library doing what I had mentioned. Just a few kids came to play, but they only played one game the entire time: some Japanese balancing game for the Wii that had rather ugly graphics and extremely annoying music... somehow I was able to keep focused on reading. The librarian came and gave me a break at 4, so I walked across the street to the Bar & Grill for one of the most delicious turkey burgers I've ever had, along with very fresh and tasty coleslaw instead of fries. And after I was done (around 5) I finished Gaudy Night in my car. I was so entranced, I just sat and listened to the last disk and a half, I couldn't wait until my next car ride! It was so good!

It's rather an odd one to start on, being the 2nd to last book in the series (of 11 - I suppose that would make it an even #10... lol), and because the focus of the book is on his love interest, Harriet Vane. However, I thought it was a grand introduction. Full of philosophy and witticisms (and a very moving blossoming of love), I don't know if I could have done any better with the pick. I was distraught at the ending, however, since he proposes to her (and she responds) in Latin... and I didn't understand! I rightly guessed that it was a positive response, but I didn't know this for sure until looking it up online immediately afterwords. And in this search (on Wikipedia) I found that this was the very novel that my sister's doctoral adviser wrote an essay on... and that was thankfully available as well. A wonderful little paper about "the philosophical novel" and Dorothy Sayers's moderate (and shared by my) idea of feminism. I am currently in love with the characters. How can you not like someone who comments on the "massive continuity of ducks" or marries the person who said this? LOL!

Saturday was good too. Woke up at 9:20 without getting up once during the early morning! I decided to check out the "Broken Yolk Cafe" on Midway Ave. I had an amazing omelet with avocado, sausage and cheddar cheese. Gosh! It was very busy, so I sat at the counter. When about half done, a couple women came in and sat next to me. The one immediately on my left asked me how my breakfast was and within seconds started yelling at the waiters working so hard in front of us for them to wait on her. Couldn't believe I had to tell a grown woman to have patience! Gosh. I was glad I was able to leave before I heard any comment about her food. I'll definitely have to go back there sometime though. Best omelet I've ever had.

Immediately afterwords, I went to the library again, checking in books for the HOLD shelf, and then my usual audio and cassette tapes. Ended up spending another 3 hours! Funny how the time flies and how much I enjoy it. And now, my current audiobook is The Incredible Journey, read my Megan Follows. Back home, I watched an episode of Poirot (season 2, from the library) before it was time to head over to the Jacobs's house for Luke's birthday. Amazing St. Patrick's Day fare (corned beef, shepherd's pie, bright green asparagus) and a delicious & moist chocolate cake with a slight hint of coffee flavor in the fudge frosting. Made it back for a fun little chat, and a half-anniversary movie watching with my Darling: The Male Animal (1942, Henry Fonda, Olivia de Haviland). We are both big fans of the sea lion routine and the college football humor... oh, and there's a moving message of free speech as well. :)

Jw

1 comment:

Linda said...

You will, starting from the beginning, eventually get to meet Peter's no-nonsense but wonderful mother, the Dowager Duchess of Denver (her given name is Honoria). One of my favorite Duchess lines is from the first chapter of the final book (BUSMAN'S HONEYMOON) in which she comments in a letter, after noting she is helping out a family in reduced circumstances, "How do you reduce a circumstance?"

I'm also particularly fond of Peter's explanation of advertising tricks in MURDER MUST ADVERTISE. Once you've read it, you will never confuse "made from" and "made with" again. :-)