Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Finishing Them Up

When I got back from school today, I had already eaten. My mentor, STG1 Cooper, invited me to (and paid for) a fundraising lunch at the Red Deck of steak tacos. Very good! It was a "mentorship lunch", but we just briefly caught up, as she was helping to serve the food.

Upon getting back home I immediately finished the last 30 pages of Strong Poison, that Christina from small group lent me Sunday night, because of my FB post about Gaudy Night. I read the first 230 pages on Monday. That's all I had done, besides take a long nap and enjoy my usual at Tio Carlos. The waitress knew about my half-order of guacamole before I sat down. The chicken enchilada was excellent, as usual. :)

Then I decided it would be neat to read The Abolition of Man, by C.S. Lewis. I had started reading the first chapter, Men Without Chests, a long time ago, after I went through that wonderful series of lectures put out by the Teaching Company (from the library). Went straight through it!

It that chapter, his argument is that by certain elementary teachers denying the reasonableness and practicality of living by virtue (or the Law of Nature, or whatever one wants to call it... he called it The Tao), we've stopped teaching how to regulate our carnal nature with our hearts, relying only on the brain. Unfortunately, God knows, we need more than our brains to do what is right... Lewis said we need our chest to come between our belly and our head... I'm pretty sure I'm slaughtering this. Better to read the book. I certainly enjoyed it. :)

After this, I took down The Call of the Wild from my shelf of partly-read books and finished the last couple chapters. What a good ending... I'm glad Buck learned how to love after all those terrible ordeals he went through.

Then I decided I'd like to make the 7pm showing of Robin Hood (1938) at the Gaslamp theater (downtown). Hopped on the trolley (while catching up with Mom & Dad) and then enjoyed a wonderful dinner of crab ravioli at The Old Spaghetti Factory (I am feeling super-spoiled) and got to the theater as Robin was walking in on Prince John's feast. The waitress was a bit slow between the dinner and the ice cream, so that's why I missed the first 5 minutes. lol!

I started Brighty of the Grand Canyon on the return trolley ride... what a day!

Jw

No comments: