Monday, February 27, 2012

Sunday & Monday

Sunday I got up for the call-in muster, only to learn (to my astonishment) that we were having our duty section's first ever physical muster on a weekend. Last weekend Chief had to spend 3 hours tracking people down, and he didn't like that. :) But since I called at 7, I had no difficulty getting into my NWUs and arriving at the turnstile outside the schoolhouse by 7:30. Took a half-hour, as Chief had his say and verified our information.

So I was up early again. Wasted time online, had toast for breakfast, and made it to the church on time. :) Service was very good: Andy, my group leader, gave the message. A brief synopsis of the Holy Spirit and how he interacts with us. And then there was a massive Italian feast in the fellowship room afterwords!

For some reason, I got the idea I wanted to look around in a used book store after church. Looked one up on my phone and found one nearby in a neighborhood called "Normal Heights"... ! It was pretty normal too. Had to waste some time (because the book store didn't open for another 40 or so minutes), so I walked around, even snooping around a fabric store with a storefront like an old movie theater. Loved the book store... ended up with a nice copy of Yank, a compilation of the WWII Army newspaper, with cartoons and pictures, a 1951 Landmark children's Story of the U.S. Marines (something I would have loved to have as a teen... I read several of those), and then a couple historical fiction books. One of the store's cats sat in my lap while I gawked at their children's section and got fur all over my sweatshirt.

I came back, watched "It Should Happen to You" (1954, Jack Lemmon) for lots of laughs, and even ended up volunteering a mere half-hour at the library before it closed at 5. Managed to shelve two carts worth of audiobooks though. :) Got some strawberries at Stump's across the street, and sat in my car for a while, finishing the little cup of seafood soup they had on sale, while listening to more of Julie Andrews book. And from there I went directly to small group, where it turned out we only had four people. So we had mac-n-cheese (white cheese with bacon & spinach) and sat and chit-chatted for the rest of the evening.

Today it's been a rainy mess ever since I got back from school. For some weird reason, I've felt like today is a weekend day... keep having to remind myself that it's Monday... never had that problem before! Stayed at home though... watched the terrible/funny "Operation Petticoat" (1959, Cary Grant) from the library, and along the same lines, finished reading Big Red... about the Trident sub. Little bit of submarine overload. :) I've managed to finish my laundry, even with the intermittent downpours... and I think I might go out to eat.

Jw

No comments: