Saturday, February 25, 2012

Another One Down!

Another thing I've wanted to do in San Diego... bike from the ASW base (where I keep my bike) to Imperial Beach and back via the Coronado Ferry and the Silver Strand (thin strip of beach... part of it where the SEAL recruits train).

I made this map this morning:

...and I carried it out! 25 miles round trip. The way down the strand from the ferry dock took me 45 minutes. I stopped at a bench at the National Wildlife Refuge and watched the birds... let me consult my bird guide... lots of black-necked stilts, American coots, a surf scoter, sandpipers, grebes, willet, mallard duck, and others I can't quite remember. I had taken along some water and turkey jerky... good thing! I was parched when I stopped. The return trip took roughly the same time... but I did stop for this pic:

I hadn't checked the clock when I started back. But just as I pulled up to the dock, the ferry came in. And thank the Lord I made that one! It was the 4:30 boat, with the next coming in an hour. The gym back on base where I left some stuff (and where I like to shower) closes at 6pm on weekends, so it worked out perfectly.

I'm pretty wasted right now. I woke up at 5:30 this morning, and stayed awake, reading my book and posting the last post. I figured out where the new Navy SEAL movie "Act of Valor" was playing, and made it to the opening showing at 10am in Mission Valley after a wonderful breakfast of oatmeal and eggs. The movie was fantastic! And made me cry at the end. The dialogue was believable, short and to the point, and the action was fast-paced, but not overdone. I especially loved the scenes with the SWCC boats (special warfare combatant-craft) and the submarine just under the water. Holy cow! So cool! Made me proud to be a Sailor today.

So, yes. I was revved up for a bike ride along that particular beach today.

Jw

No comments: