Monday, January 16, 2012

The Weekend With My Darling

They let us go early on Friday (yes, the 13th)... after I grabbed some Chipotle for lunch, and realized that neither Emily or my landlady were home, I was able to catch a ride from Liz before she went home so I'd get to the airport in plenty of time... and I certainly had some down time. Ate lunch, chatted with a Marine family (it was Friday... graduation), and went shopping. Bought Tim Tebow's new book that I ran into on Amazon the other day (all about his upbringing and college days). Also got the cutest little dolphin necklace and a new pair of sunglasses. Talked to my family while I waited at the gate, and then it was time! Read the first half of the book on the flights (transferring in Houston) and rested. Found gummy worms and turkey jerky at the Bass Pro Outlet store... ah, Houston. The place was so big it took forever to get to my little plane (3 across) that was out on the tarmac. Just on time.

Met Michael at baggage claim around 11ish, and on the way home we had a snack at a second Burger King (the first was closed, despite all its signs) and Mike had gotten me a chocolate shake from Braum's . I think we stopped by Homeland for something, but soon we were home trying to calm Charlie down. Don't think I've ever seen him particularly unenthusiastic. :)

Next morning (Saturday) we were up around 7ish... had breakfast, did last minute packing, and we were off to the train station just a few blocks away. It was freezing and in the 30s as we walked from the car to the station across the tracks, but it was refreshingly warm inside. The little station doubles as a dance studio... so it was very open and furnished with movable chairs. It was nearly a four-hour ride... but I loved every minute. We had seats in the lower car, but had to go up top to get over to the snack car: M&Ms, and a macadamia nut - white chocolate chip cookie, along with water and coffee. We spent most of the time looking out the big windows as the countryside, small towns, train stations and rivers fell behind us. I took a bit of a nap on Mike's shoulder, but he woke me in time to see the Red River as we crossed into Texas.

John and Sue were waiting for us at the station. We had to stop and get our tickets for the return trip, but then we were off. I hit it off with Sue from the start. We ended up having a lot in common; I think we'll make a trip back to see them someday! :) After a brief tour of the city, they took us home to relax and have lunch. A wonderful sandwich spread... ham, Swiss, veggies, and fruit on the side. They live at the restored Texas & Pacific Passenger Depot building, in the old office spaces above that have been converted into condos.

After we finished our lunch, we started out. They showed us the 1930s historic Post Office building next door, then we got in the car and visited the museum district. Saw the Kimbell Art Museum (where Sue and I ended up liking the same painting best - without knowing - at right) and then the Amon Carter Museum of American painters, photographers & sculptors (with a feature exhibit on Frederick Remington). After this, we drove over to the Stockyards, and enjoyed a very Texas dinner at Riscky's BBQ. We were very tired after all of this and returned to their home for a very nice evening.

Sunday, we were so rested it was easy getting up at eight-thirty-ish. A magnificent breakfast awaited us after our showers. Fried red potatoes, sausage links, scrambled eggs and V8 juice, for me. We pretty much stayed on our plan and got to the Fort Worth Zoo about 11... an hour after they opened. Great one! And we've seen a lot of zoos! :) I especially loved their tigers... two white and two orange... and all walking around. Also impressive was the lion, the rhino, the reptile house, the elephants and the parakeets. All these were so up-close-and-personal. The elephants were literally a couple feet away.

Had a late lunch downtown at a pizza place before stopping at Walgreens for snacks and returning home to pack and get ready for the train. We watched our wedding slide show together after we were all ready, and then we took off for the cho0-choo. This time we got a forward-facing car. Watched the sunset to our left and then a movie when it was dark... "Navy Blue & Gold" (1937, Jimmy Stewart, Robert Young) about some football players for the academy. We started "The Ice Follies of 1939", also with Jimmy, but we soon realized why we had never heard of it before. :) Back in Norman around 9:30ish, we stopped at Mike's favorite Chinese Buffet for some take-out for dinner at home. Finished up "Red River" (1948, John Wayne) while we ate.

Monday we took it pretty easy. Waffles and eggs for breakfast, watched half of a film on TCM for Martin Luther King Jr. Day, sat outside while Charlie played around, then got some bread at Homeland and fed many ducks and geese at the duck pond, east of campus. We were quickly bereft of bread. It was so fun... the big ducks looked like they were attacking us in formation. And the swarm of red-winged blackbirds was an incredible sight (and sound).

For another late lunch/early dinner, we ate at The Service Station, across the street from our church. I had Mexican, and Mike had a hamburger, I think. Up until that point, we'd been getting the same exact thing... fried catfish at the BBQ place and chicken fettuccine at the pizza place. John and Sue must have thought we were crazy. :)

And then the time came for me to leave. Stupid security stole my key chain pocket knife that I forgot about (several airports had let it through) and I characteristically cried as I walked to the gate. I was already sad... just pushed me over the edge. My flight was a little late, but no matter. Had a mushroom & Swiss Angus burger at McDonald's in Houston, along with a yogurt parfait and a small salad. Finished Tebow's book by the time I reached SD... got a taxi, and soon I was in bed.

Jw

...the Facebook album...