Thursday, January 26, 2012

Last Ten Days... and a weekend

Tuesday after I got back was a bear... and Wed. & Thurs. were sort of nondescript, getting let off around 2pm. All that week I wasn't used to getting up so early, so I kept staying up late every night. By the time the weekend rolled around, I wanted some rest. Oh... Wednesday evening I watched "The Help" from the Redbox on base. Very good!

Friday afternoon (the 20th) I had a burger at "Da Kines", a Hawaiian lunch-plate diner in Liberty Station. I ran into it while getting my name changed at the Navy Federal branch next door to it (and had to go by twice, since I forgot my marriage certificate the first time). I had a burger that was half-beef-half-sausage... and it was crumbly deliciousness. Got some things at Trader Joe's (it has become my grocer of choice), and then headed home.

I thought it would be nice to treat Emily out to dinner, since she's moving out in a few days. I had recently written down the names of all the restaurants I've been to here (pretty sure I've forgotten a few) and I told her to pick one after I offered. Red Lobster was the choice, and I was happy with that, even though it made me miss my Darling and my family. Had a low-cal "build your own" with grilled shrimp, seafood stuffed sole and veggies (and the lobster bisque for a not-so-low-cal). Delicious! And Emily got that wonderful bowl dish that I got at home during the holidays. We had a good conversation, and on the way home, she mentioned that she didn't have to work the next day, so we each invited each other to church; practically at the same time! Once we got home, we had a good long talk about our faith's differences and similarities; and it was very good: I think I understand Catholicism a bit better now.

Saturday wasn't much. I slept in past ten (boy, did that feel good)... and from receipts/pictures I have I know that was the day I went to Target, Walgreens, and Tio Carlos. Got yogurt, a new metal wallet, new passport pics (even though I decided not to change it when I saw the form again) and a notebook. Tried out the Mexican restaurant's "chicken and veggie soup" to my delight, along with a chile relleno and chicken enchilada. And it wasn't spicy either!

So at 5 min. to 8am on Sunday (22nd) I went to my first mass. St Charles Borromeo Catholic Church is literally two minutes away. It's across the street from us, and from MCRD. Emily has gone there a few times, and likes it pretty well. I was surprised how much it was like the Methodist and Presbyterian services I've been to... except performed with more flourish and ceremony... their traditions go back a little bit further... :) The mass we had was for the "Third Sunday in Ordinary Time"... it struck me as sounding funny. Here's the page:

We sang a few songs other than this, including "Beautiful Savior" which is a re-wording (or pre-wording) of "Fairest Lord Jesus" that I know from my childhood. Doctrinally, I didn't get much out of the service. I enjoyed watching the pomp and circumstance... and it certainly felt very holy. But I was saddened with the recurring theme in the music with begging God for mercy. Good grief! We have been given it already! I think it fully prepped me for my service though.

Emily came along with me to my church too. The sermon was on 1 John: "God is light", and how we reflect him the more we get to know him. Very good, and I was very pleased to share this with her. I know I volunteered for an hour or so at the library after churches. I turned in Hawthorn's "House of the Seven Gables" and picked up Wodehouse's "Jeeves and the Mating Season" for some more listening enjoyment. I wasted a good deal of time between that and small group later on by playing Minesweeper for ever and ever. Small group was at Luke & Christina's from church... they had roast beef, salad and bread for dinner... yum! And it was wonderful to see everyone (and meet new people too) again.

Between Monday and now has been sort of fuzzy too. We were let off at 11am each day... but somehow the days slipped away. I know Mom and Dad were hit by a bunch of snow that weekend... called and talked with them for a while. Tuesday was Mom's birthday... and I got a card off that evening for my Gramma's 98th this Sunday. Went to the library again and got "Stranger Than Fiction" (2006, Will Ferrell, Emma Thompson) and a couple more audiobooks. I also got my other uniforms updated with my new name... waited around in Lib Hall while the sewing lady sewed them, and watched college basketball. Had to have watched the film yesterday, and returned it... gosh, what a muddle. :)

Today I had soup and sandwiches for lunch, and figured out all the plans and prices for the trip to Disneyland next month with Michael (President's Day weekend). What blessings!

Jw

No comments: