Friday, January 27, 2012

It's Friday!

Once I got going after class today (around 2pm) I went for a sandwich at "Jersey Mike's Subs" next to Chipotle after hearing my instructor and classmates rave about it. Took it (along with some veggie snacks from home) up to Cabrillo National Monument in order to sit, rest and read in my library book, "Sea Star: Orphan of Chincoteague" (this is my 4th Henry book). I was delighted to watch four different kinds of birds flit back and fourth in the bushes around the secluded little seating area below the visitor center and grab the little crumbs I dropped (or threw!). There was also a speckled squirrel running around begging for tidbits. Two of the birds were cute, but very nondescript. The other two, however, were beautiful. One slim, tall blue/grey & white one and a small black one with orange breast and white speckles on its wings. The freshly sliced turkey and provolone on the wheat sandwich were very good.


After finishing eating, I moved up to behind the visitor's center with the grand overlook of the city and bay. I think it was the same squirrel snooping around. I read more than half-way through the book while I was up there, and got to watch the pair of F-18s come in for a landing, the destroyer and frigate come back to port, and the submarine start cruising out to sea as it got to be 5pm and closing time. What beautiful weather! I could see all the mountains... even stretching into Mexico!

Stopped by Stump's Market on the way home for dinner: chicken enchiladas for $4 and two small avocados for 67 cents total! I got my new Navy Fed check card in the mail (now everything is changed over!), but the checks that came along with it were still in my old name... pointless! And this morning I had to re-order the Medieval Times tickets because they put it in as the week before we're going... thankfully that's fixed now... I'm glad I noticed. Got the Disney ones printed out though... and my "Complete Tales of Beatrix Potter" (authorized edition, softcover, & new looking... for $7) was waiting at the base post office for me. :)

Jw

No comments: