Sunday, January 8, 2012

Normal-ish Sunday

I got to church in plenty of time today because it started at 11, instead of 9:30. :) Thankfully, I looked at the reminder email before running out the door... and ended up making myself some eggs for breakfast. Church was really neat: they had a special gathering of all three congregations that use the same church building. Many of my friends weren't there, but I did see Pauline sitting with her friends. She's a sweet lady, in her 80's, and from a little town near Dutch Harbor, Alaska, and was there when the Japanese bombed and invaded it! That's an interesting story to hear, for sure! Her friends Betty and Marge were pleasant to talk to as well. I sat in the row right in front of them, and Pastor Carl and his wife Susan came and sat right next to me.

The sermon was on topics from the story of the epiphany of the wise men from Matthew 2... and very good. How well the young pastor wove the gospel into it! And then there was a massive feast after all the singing and preaching... with foods from the three different cultures of the three churches... my church, Korean, and Filipino... what a bunch of food! I'm glad I had time to buy a pasta salad beforehand to contribute.









Afterwords, I went to the library for three hours... putting away all the movies and audio books. And there was only another cart's worth of dvds that came in while I was putting them all away. Gosh, a lot of people use the library for films! But I'm not exempt! I brought 4 home myself: "Mr. Skeffington" with Bette Davis and Claude Rains (which I watched tonight), "The Third Man" with Orson Welles and Joseph Cotton, and while I was on my way out, a couple biographies that had come in... "Paul Revere" and then "Kitty Hawk" about the Wright Brothers.

But first I needed to do a little shopping: I was out of butter and I needed to get a new notebook for tomorrow's first day of class. Went to Staples first, found the book, a skin for my phone (been looking everywhere for one), and a new pair of ear buds from a good brand that were on sale. Had dinner at Del Taco (in the same lot), then got a couple things at Target, including the butter, some onion powder and a hot pad for my pot.

Jw

No comments: