Sunday, July 17, 2011

The Wild Blue... Ocean

After a very good church service this morning with David and Charlie, I joined them and David's minemen friends on a snorkeling trip across the bay at La Jolla. Charlie and I rented wet suits, fins, masks & snorkels, and that was the first time in a wet suit for me. Very tight to climb into, but altogether, it was easier than I thought it'd be. It turned out to be about a mile swim, the way we went straight out and the made a right turn for the sea lion cove. Only five minutes in the water (at around 15 feet deep) we saw a couple dark, very large and sleek sharks swimming beneath us. The guys said one of them was about 7 feet long! It made me nervous, but I realized I was alright. :) The two-foot long white jellyfish frightened me more. People were pointed excitedly when we found it (hard to talk with snorkels), so I dove down to look. And then I kicked wildly to get back to the surface as quick as possible. :)

The rest of the trip we saw lots of kelp coming up from the very deep parts of the bay, and lots of little fish. Once we finally made it to the cove, there were bunches of fishes in the safety of the eelgrasses... and sea lions barking on the rocks, and cormorants and pelicans skimming the surface or diving nearby. I loved it! But when we pulled ourselves out, we found it was only 40 minutes before the suits had to be returned (the shop closed at 5). After pondering what to do, we asked the lifeguard and ended up walking back around the bay in our bare feet! And we made it just in time. Whew!

Got our stuff on the beach and then sat down at Jeff's Burgers. I had a 1/2 lb hamburger and a strawberry shake. Mm Mmm! What a day! Drove back to base and talked early with Mike so I could get a shower in before bed without staying up late. And that worked too.

No comments: