Saturday, July 16, 2011

A Break, Officially

Didn't have an official plan for today, so I just stayed in my room.

Copied CD's onto my computer, read in Emma on the eReader, ate snacks from my room, watched "That Touch of Mink" while shining my boots that got destroyed on the ship this week. Then watched a few newsreels of "March of Time" from TCM... and that got me in the mood to try out the color films collection I bought for $5 the other day...

First one from the battle of Midway, one from the Italian campaign called "Thunderbolt" about P-47s attacking supply lines (telling a rather complete story about how it helped the allies be able to advance to Rome), one about the Marines at Tarawa, and then one about the Japanese Relocation centers in the American West - and they talked about it like it was one of the necessary tragedies of war. They said it wasn't nice, but they did show good things that came from it, like people learning trades that they made new lives for themselves once they got out. Surprised about how honestly they dealt with it. I didn't watch the fifth film about the Flying Fortresses yet.

I really liked them... they were made in 1944 by the war department, and filmed by servicemen, with a commentary. Sometimes they said things like, "We'll see how this affects the rest of the war". Wow!

By this time it was nearly 7 o'clock. So I decided to get some dinner and some Internet for chat. Had some nachos, rice & beans at the MXN fast food place on Rosecrans. And I got some tea and a shortbread cookie at Panera. Love them... always a friendly place with good food to retreat to.

Jp

No comments: