Saturday, July 23, 2011

Retro-Posted, Again

Just another Liberty Weekend post... for July 22, 23. It's practically the only time I have to myself these days (when I'm not falling-over, tired). :)

Friday afternoon I spent nearly my last 40 dollars. :) I'm not actually broke... I'm just not giving in to the temptation of tapping into the savings account. The buck needs to stop somewhere. :)

I went out to see Captain America on opening day with Matthew Ferry, my friend from A school. He's going through the electronics course I did in Great Lakes, so it's fun remembering when he mentions how it's going. Captain America was so much fun! A good old-fashioned American kid making it big through a scientist's breakthrough, muscle-enhancing procedure. And then he beats up on "Red Skull" a genetically-altered Nazi who is about to destroy the world. I loved the Forties feel... and how he finally enlists at the NY World's Fair. The storyline flows really well; they don't over-do anything, and there's not a preachy message either. Tommy Lee Jones is in it too, and I always like his movies.

I had popcorn and a lemonade, so I was out over $20 by the time I sat down to the movie. We had pizza at the food court outside afterwords, and then we dropped by a sporting goods store after that... he needed PT clothes and I found little flashlights (especially for working in dark spaces aboard ships). I probably wouldn't have gotten them if I had checked my bank account. You see, this week I absolutely couldn't wait one more week to buy honeymoon plane tickets... lol! I can't wait...

So on Saturday (the 23rd), after I slept in til ten-something, did my laundry and ate Frosted Mini-Wheats as I watched "The Americanization of Emily" from 1962 (James Garner, Julie Andrews). A funny, dramatic, semi-anti-war romance that made me love it, even though I didn't agree with some of the 60's philosophies involved. I finished it up to the last second I could wait before needing to head to The Old Globe for the one-man show about Leonard Bernstein. I barely had time for the Caprese sandwich in their courtyard, but I fit it in. A new play by the same guy who did "Gershwin Alone". Lots of singing, piano-playing, and reminiscing about family and career. This one opened with a TV show of the real Bernstein, projected on a huge curtain that back-dropped the stage, teaching the fundamentals of conducting. I thought about my band directors throughout the play. :)

Afterwords, it was only about 3:30... so I thought I'd look at the new exhibits at the San Diego Art Museum nearby. They had a big collection of Spanish painters, and a bunch of turn-of-the-century American furniture/interior designs. Very fun to look at, but as it turned out, free as well! I had heard briefly from my roommate about free Balboa Park museums for Active Military until Labor Day... and it was true! The only thing that startled me was the failure of my credit card in the store... I had to buy that cute little coin purse embroidered with blue birds with cash! On the way home, I decided to try out Five Guys and had a large hamburger and fries before getting on chat back on base.

Jp

No comments: