Friday, May 20, 2011

A Weekend and a Week

Goodness! Much has happened since I last posted! Sometimes it's hard to keep track of how quickly the days pass by! Last weekend, I took it rather easy, since I was very tired from being so keyed up for testing out of A-School. It was a big crash! I did all my laundry on Friday... big news there.

Saturday morning I upgraded my two favorite Facebook groups (one for WENN and the other for my Jr. High band director), finding to my delight that this re-invigorated discussions and made it easier for people to keep up with it... which included comments from Mary Stout and Hugh O'Gorman!

Sunday night I went to a modern play at the Globe that was very "edgy" and "dirty". It was interesting, but everyone was so darn bad to each other and nothing good ever happened to anybody... stayed up very late talking with Mike afterwords... which was so encouraging.

But Monday I was wasted! As I said before, I was still on a downer from being keyed up for class. And then I gave a pint of blood at 0900... which probably didn't help me feel very "go-get-'em". Thankfully I didn't have any watch for this Duty Day!

Tuesday I classed up immediately for Petty Officer Indoc! And we spent all day (0800-1530) in class. But this day I found out my class dates for Ops & C-School, which doesn't start til October, and doesn't finish til next May. This, importantly, allows for the marriage & honeymoon plans Mike & I had for sometime in September. :) I was instantly on the phone with him, and then my parents to share the big news once I was changed and on my way to the car.

Because that night the theater downtown was playing "Patton" (1970) for their special $5 showing. So I went early, tried out the "Crab Hut" restaurant that I discovered last time, then showed up right on time for the movie to begin. Pretty sure it was the first time I'd seen it, start to finish and uninterrupted.

And Wednesday evening I had a craving for that burger from the place in Old Town... and I got it again, except this time with their fries... their delicious fries covered with Parmesan cheese! Mmm! And then I swung by the Point Loma library to see most of the free community choir concert that was hosted there. They were singing Broadway tunes; I came in when they started a medley of Le Mis songs (which I had never heard before), a few others, and a Phantom medley... minus "Music of the Night" (my fav Phantom song). They ended with a sing-a-long of Irving Berlin and George Cohan... very fun indeed.

Last night I listened to a great deal of the lecture set I borrowed from the library the other day: "C.S. Lewis: His Life and Writings", put out by the "Great Courses" company that records outstanding lecturers from prestigious universities. It's an overview of all his main works... and I am delighted with it. Almost half-way through it already! Had some chocolate ice cream at Cold Stone and posted my graduation pictures to FB.

Today I finished "Lone Survivor", a suggested Navy reading program book about a SEAL and his mission in Afghanistan in 2005. Just realized tonight I was on my trip to see my Grandparents, Gatlinburg and Gettysburg (and Fredericksburg, Fort McHenry, Manassas & DC) with my parents the very same days that this story occurred. What a story!

Jp

No comments: