Sunday, February 27, 2011

Surprise, Surprise!

Even before going to the play, I had a fabulous day. Slept in a bit, and didn't have the heart (or feet) for church-searching today. I took my laptop to Panera Bread, ordered an egg & four cheese souffle and sat down to write a post, read articles, listen to some songs on YouTube and watch a sermon... which was an excellent study on Love and Anger.

Walked back to base to drop off the laptop... took a bus down Rosecrans St. to go shopping, and found a couple nice shirts at the local church, the Rock's, thrift store. I also looked around Ross Dress for Less, found a nice little necklace... but that place was horribly busy. With my findings (and some supper from Chipotle) I got back on the bus and switched to the Trolley for downtown... and The Old Globe at Balboa Park.

Got there right at 6:30 for the 7pm performance of Emma: a romantic musical comedy. To my great astonishment (why did I not check online?!), Amanda Naughton was listed in the program (with a new picture) as playing Mrs. Weston. What a delightful surprise! Here's an official photo from the Globe:

The green backstage was a maze of hedges reaching up towards the background that was quite useful for gardens and playing hide and seek... and having the entire cast appear in a daydream.
I was surprised how well Emma fit as a musical. There were great original songs, but what I enjoyed most was Emma's thoughts to herself that she would sing. Both her and Mr. Knightly had beautiful ballads that were thoughtfully reprised together at the end when they became engaged.

I'm always thrilled to see that Ms. Naughton is still acting. She looks as if she's enjoying it with all her heart. She was delightful, sporting a high British accent. With the orchestration and the small company, she was on stage quite a bit. As I recall, she had a couple solo singing parts too. Mrs. Weston declared herself to be pregnant near the end, and in the final scenes she appeared with a tummy prop. :)

I thoroughly enjoyed myself, even though the bus from the trolley station to the base was no longer operating at 10:30... and I had to take a taxi the last two miles.

What a day!
Jp

No comments: