Saturday, February 26, 2011

By the Sea

Today is a day where I really lamented not having my camera (it's in the mail, coming this week). The ocean, topped with bilious clouds and the sun streaming through them was so... pretty. Words can't come close. It was so relaxing. I walked the length of the beach for about a half-hour, finding all sorts of shells and little piles of seaweed, and for the first time, two jellyfish... which I found fascinating. I then sat and soaked in the salt sea air for another half-hour near the boardwalk that juts out into the sea.

But that was after taking a long time leaving the barracks. I had some internet things to do, including looking up the 923 bus route that goes up to the library and then on to Ocean Beach. I was there long enough to have lunch at the galley at 1100, and then set off in order to volunteer at the library. The bus stop at the intersection of Nimitz and Rosecrans was "temporarily closed". So in frustration I leaned my head back and groaned. I continued to walk the entire way... but then again, as the Lord always blesses, no matter the bus schedule, I was able to have about a half-hour's chat with my dear friend Julie while making my way up the hill.

Before I started shelving books, I made a couple photocopies of my favorite pages in Jane Eyre... lol... and read them a few times. I had a guacamole burger at the grill across the street when the library closed (around 2:30), and then decided I'd keep walking towards Ocean Beach to explore. The total distance from base to beach (via the route I walked) is just about 4 miles exactly.

After my beach time, I explored downtown a little, discovering they have a lot of antique shops. One it particular was very neat... and I almost broke down and bought a painted, revolutionary war tin soldier. They also had 30's type music playing so it felt very retro.

For dinner I had an Italian ham & mushroom pizza... and a cup of hot chocolate. It warmed me up wonderfully, as it was rather cold out with the sea breezes. By the time I was done it was 6:30 and very dark. Too my consternation, I found I had missed the last bus back and therefore, had to walk all four miles back. Made it to chat at exactly 7:59... for a much needed sit-down. :)

Jp

A- Nixie Way on base, B- Point Loma Library, C- downtown Ocean Beach

No comments: