Thursday, February 24, 2011

Of Reading and Other Pleasures

Last night I finished Jane Eyre (all 433 pages in just three days) with much satisfaction. I have so many similarities to her, slightly in circumstance, but mostly in feeling. It would be awkward to list out the reasons... but the way she heads off on her own is especially meaningful.

Tonight I felt positively worried about coming to an end of things that could entertain me. I read in a book and a magazine, and had even read through 1-2 Peter and 1-3 John this afternoon... and suddenly I was tired after these and being done with my duties. But in a flash I remembered the pile of movies I have from Mike... and that I have a means of watching them in the privacy and solitude of my room... on my laptop. It was a silly 40's comedy... "Bedtime Story", I think... with Loretta Young. It was very relaxing to forget the military for a moment and laugh.

Jp

No comments: