Saturday, February 19, 2011

Half-way Through Weekend Number Two

I had seen an advertisement for "The Wizard of Oz - Broadway in San Diego" a few days ago and finally called the Civic Theater to see if I could still get a cheap, third-tier seat for one of the shows this weekend. The lady told me they were doing "rush" tickets for the evening performances... meaning if I showed up a couple hours before the show I could buy an unsold expensive ticket for $25 cash. This was about $50 dollars cheaper than the face value... and the first time I've seen a Broadway musical... !!! So I went to Oz last night.

It was lots of fun! Especially when Toto came running to Dorthy from the side every once in a while. What a good dog! Wonder how many treats she had in hand... I saw him lick his lips every now and then. :)

Always love the songs... they were all done well. Toto even had blocking during "Over the Rainbow"... there were three guys dressed up as crows that accompanied "If I Only Had a Brain"... and the trees that threw apples at Dorthy and the Scarecrow before meeting Tinman were three ladies in flowing brown gowns with hats that had branches sprouting out of them. They had the "Jitterbug" song that got cut out of the film... that makes me very curious to see it.

In order to do the tornado, they had a screen that came down in front that they played film on... it resembled the movie, but I think they made it entirely for the play. And there was a lot of smoke and sparks whenever the Wicked Witch appeared... and she also sparked things with her broom. I loved Glenda! She floated onto the scene standing in a suspended metal bubble. LOL

I loved the attention to detail! Everything in Kansas was done in grays and whites and browns... the backdrop and even Dorthy's dress... checkered brown. But when she came into Oz, she had checkered bright blue. I noticed from the beginning and thought it a lovely touch.

Getting to the theater was so easy! Caught the bus a block away from base, then got on the trolley that stops right in front of the theater... arrived a half-hour before they started selling rush tickets at 5 and was fifth in line. Had a positively magnificent dinner (burger, chowder, strawberry cheesecake) at a little sports bar across the plaza from the theater, and then explored downtown a little before returning to get seated at 7.

I got caught in a downpour after the show though. San Diego's having a huge weather system come through these last couple days. Thankfully a bit of it started when I was heading out, so I returned for my black GI raincoat... and that was a life-saver. It was a walk in a torrential downpour between trolleys and buses, with a brisk wind that blew it in the face. Got back kinda late, but it was all worth it.

~

Today I got caught in a couple more rain storms, but nothing quite so pelting as last night's. In the morning I had a Denny's breakfast to enjoy the things they don't do as well in the galley... oatmeal and pancakes. I see this as becoming a Saturday tradition here... :)

After that glorious meal I kept walking down Rosecreans Street and found the Point Loma Post Office to mail a package. Nearby was a locally owned drugstore, so I went in and found some maps of the area to help future excursions. Also a wide-brimmed sun hat for all the walking around I do here. After settling on these things and making it back to Nimitz Blvd. near Denny's, I headed west up the street about a mile and a half to the local library.

Very impressed with their layout... modern, but very useful. The downstairs has all the children's and young adult literature and non-fiction... and that's where they had me start after taking a couple minutes to fill out a volunteer form. They were all extremely friendly, especially after finding out I was doing it because I wanted to. :)

Found four books behind the graphic novels section, one being "The Red Badge of Courage". Pretty sure that one was lost for quite a while... :) Also, a copy of Benjamin Franklin's biography turned up in the fiction... I was shelving a novel by a Somebody Franklin, and that's how it was found. I'm so happy to be back in libraries! And with all the freedom I desire, coming in on weekends whenever I can! :)

They close at 2:30 on Saturdays, so soon I had to call it quits. Walked back down Nimitz, then decided to enjoy dinner in Liberty Station. Panera Bread was calling out to me. :) Had my favorite "Sierra Turkey" and a cup of broccoli cheddar in a corner by the window, looking out into the bright sunshine, but shielded by a shadow. So nice! On the way back to base the clouds came rolling back with a vengeance, causing me to run for shelter. I took refuge and waited for it to stop; and it didn't take long. Slowly, the sunlight began shining on the trees, despite the raindrops and soon it was all over. A huge rainbow filled the sky and I saw a hummingbird sitting atop a tree as I made my way over the reflective glass of the wet concrete back to base.

I read a bit in "Love & Respect" before setting up the laptop in the Liberty Center's lobby for chat. And best of all, I had a lovely time with my friends.

Jp

No comments: