Monday, October 12, 2009

Hello Again

And Happy Columbus Day!

Well, this was a rather unusual weekend.

Friday after work (and after lunch - which was steak! boy did that taste good!) I went and got my bike pumped up (and bought a bike pump - so I don't have to do this again) at a bike shop in Redmond. Previously I only had my little hand pump, and that really doesn't work on a regular basis. It's really only supposed to be for emergencies. So sometime soon I can go biking again! Yay!

Just a block away from the bike shop is a neat little store that I hadn't been to in a long time... McDonald's Books. I was really there only to poke around and look, but I ended up taking a couple paperbacks home with me. :)

But the odd part was this conference that my parents are involved with. It has to do with promoting Creation science... it's something that I believe in and agree with, but also something I am not all that interested in. I prefer history and philosophy to geology and biology. My parents are science folks though. They like that sort of thing. I remember once doing science in grade school and getting frustrated at studying "how the weather works" again. I remember I told my Dad, "I understand how clouds are made... but why are there clouds?" It must have been fun to raise me.

After helping Mom set up the snacks she brought, I raced outside to go look at the glorious sunset. I drove a ways in order to see if I could get a glimpse of Puget Sound (this was near Everett). After making a few turns I landed in a pretty swank neighborhood and gasped as I saw the Sound. It was all lit up in rosy pink from the magnificent reflection from the acres of layered clouds of the same color. The dark purple Olympic mountains were jagged against the bright orange sky. I stayed there for 15 minutes watching as the colors quickly faded to lighter pinks and yellows before they disappeared all together.

SATURDAY, October 10:
After sleeping in a good deal, I spent the day at home all alone. I thought of cleaning the house, but I never did get further than cleaning out my own room. :) Got rid of some stuff I never use, moved stuff around so it's more accessible, and most importantly, vacuumed. I almost ran out of time to eat before heading to the U for the football game, but I did get a bowl of soup down along with some cut up portions of steak leftover from Friday - veggie soup is greatly improved with steak - and I made it there just in time for the first of the four places we play for fans before the game. The game itself started badly, quickly recovered well, then went to pieces in the third quarter and then miraculously finished with a totally unexpected win. From my position in the west end zone seating I could see the whole stadium jumping wildly in ripples down the rows, accompanied by the deafening roar from all sides. I've seen games like this one was turning out to be for six years now. We knew the drill... another humiliating, deflating defeat. But all of a sudden, we scored and then we intercepted; and we won. What?! What a night.

SUNDAY, October 11: "One Weed Too Many"
Now this was really odd... I set my alarm and got up early to go with my parents and the Fun Couple down to our friend's little visitor center/museum down by Mt. St. Helens. They are an elderly couple, and they needed some gardening help. Meg was busy with grading homework, so Jason and I had a lot of time to talk as we pulled up weeds. We did this pretty much all afternoon with a break for lunch (I brought the last of the soup!) and again for dinner... it was then that I finally gave up the diet for lack of soup. I slept off and on all the way back home (2+ hours) and I think I must have slept funny on my right wrist... it was either that or the weeding or both that caused my wrist to still hurt a little today.

Monday, Today:
Busy, busy, busy at work, and generally pretty happy. I dreamt about Remember WENN last night (for no particular reason), about Betty telling Celia about Victor during the 3rd season, and I spent the morning being very, very glad that I am friends with you folks that read this. I feel fortunate and blessed to know you.

Jp

No comments: