Monday, August 31, 2009

Sunday in the Sunshine

Another fine day! I slept in until about 10, I think... and I thought I'd go to church. They sang some frivolous songs and offered sound teaching... a give/take relationship I don't mind too much. Our pastor is rock solid on the important things... and he teaches clearly! I really should go more often.

Afterwards, I went to the Brooks outlet store down the street, and found some awesome shoes for running/biking! Except mine only cost $20! yeah! By the time I got home, it was nearly time for lunch and the family was already over.

In the afternoon, I managed to get my checkbook back in order and take care of bills and other monetary things as well as finish filling out those dreadfully long forms for the Navy. I certainly have a clearer desk, with nothing else pressingly important, waiting for a time to complete. While I was doing this, everyone else was watching Veggie Tales's "Lord of the Beans"... which I've already seen a few times. It pokes fun (cleverly) at the Rings movies while illustrating a moral ("we should all use our gifts to help others").

By the time this was all over, some people were leaving places, so I decided to go for a bike ride. It really is nice to have a good road bike and a biking jersey and pants... it makes it much more comfortable than slapping workout pants and a t-shirt together on a old bike that makes your knees hurt :) Vast improvement, I'd say. And I have those guys from the U to thank! Anyway, I biked 4 miles from Woodinville to Log Boom Park in Kenmore, took a few minutes on the dock to look at the setting sun and the ducks, and then biked back. I averaged about 8 MPH. Gosh, the shoes are *perfect* for biking... and I tried a couple short sprints when I got back to the parking lot. Weeeeeee!

Back home, the family was just getting ready to leave when I returned. I'm glad I made it back in time to see them off! Mom and Dad were a little annoyed at still having a disc of "Happy Days" from Netflix, but we put on "After the Thin Man" from '36 and enjoyed that probably much more than anything else we have in our queue. :) It's lovely to see Jimmy in a role like that!

Jp

No comments: