Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Brightening

Last night before class I hopped on Facebook to check things out. Jon Foreman had written a note on his page, so I checked it out. He was lamenting our nation's lack of caring for the people of Darfur compared to our willingness to freak out and spend billions if 3 Americans die from the flu. It made me wonder if I should do something else with my life... if serving in the military is even worthwhile. So along with being tired, or because I was tired, I was very confused about what I should do.

Sometimes I can forget that while our nation has lots of serious problems, it still is a great thing worth protecting and serving. We can be pretty hypocritical about freedom, but we do help lead the free world. We are grounded on freedom of religion. We believe in the freedom of everyone, no matter their background. Darn it, that's awesome. We can all tell our representatives that something should be done about Darfur. And we can continue to support organizations that are doing something.

And then there's the fact that a person should do what they feel they would do best. I'm not feeling quite so uncertain any more.
God bless America.

Jp

PS - Thanks for bearing with me on a little self-discussion.

No comments: