Thursday, March 5, 2009

Starting, and Going Home

My first five minutes on my new Acer laptop... and here I am.
OH MY GOSH this is cool.

This brand-spanking new machine has Windows Vista already set up! Instillation was very easy. The keyboard is slightly curved, the keys have a nice, crisp click to them, it's running smoothly, the mouse pad has a very quick response, and it comes with a built-in webcam - like I'll ever use it... but it is all quite seriously cool.

I need to set up some browsing favorites, and for goodness sake, download a picture or two or a thousand, and photoshop, and chatzilla, and... I'm not sure. But before I do all that, I think I'll go online and find a copy of the book by the photographer that we watched tonight in class. He lives in my beautiful boundary waters of Northern Minnesota. I was simply transported to see his pictures, and the film, called "Chasing the Light". Jim Brandenburg is his name... I'm not getting Flash Player to install correctly in order to see his website... is there something I need to do?

[I had to close my browser! Duh! So I've been to his site, and he has an exhibit going on now in Norman, OK at the Sam Noble Museum through April 12. Small world.]

Anyways, I actually cried at times during the film, because I understood how he described the place. And because the call of the common loon will always make me feel very lonely, nostalgic and wanting to get on an airplane bound for Duluth. In fact, the thought of just continuing east on the freeway occurred to me as I was crossing the bridge, coming home tonight.

Yes, so house-sitting is over... it was short this time. Sammy was a cute little doll, like always. Even when she woke me up a half-hour before wake up time this morning. Ah, well.

The class loved my fuzzy forest pictures. They seem as if they are photographic paintings... and I love it! I had many more than I had time to print tonight, but that's okay. I need to go horseback riding some more this weekend.

Jp

2 comments:

Heidi Brandenburg Pierson said...

Hi Jennifer - Sorry you're having trouble with Jim Brandenburg's website. You can view his blog (which has much more info) at the following link.

http://jimbrandenburg.blogspot.com/

Best,
Heidi Brandenburg

niferjen said...

Thanks! I was only having trouble downloading Flash player, but it worked once I read ALL the directions! Imagine that!

I spent many months of my childhood in the BWCA (my Grandparents owned a resort on the Gunflint Trail), so I very much loved Jim's film and pictures! What I saw and heard definitely captured an essence of the land's great beauty. Please give my best to Jim!

Jen