Saturday, November 1, 2008

Rain, Rain, Where Have You Been?

Well, it rained on Friday, and it's pouring out right now. But we've had nice weather here for at least a week or so, so there's really nothing to complain about. It's pretty refreshing actually. Today there was also a nice breeze before it started raining again, so I had a lovely time going outside with Spiffy and enjoying the fresh, cool air on a walk around the neighborhood.

The rain on Friday was not hard, however, and my sister and I went riding as usual. When I got up in the saddle, I felt almost as comfortable as I am in my new car. She also commented that my mounting looks a lot smoother as well. After several months of riding every week or so, I'm glad that it's getting second nature. And Roo is feeling steadier and smoother too. We cantered again today, and the stride or gate, or whatever you call it, was so gentle compared to normal! It was a great time, even though we had to work on doing what I was telling him and not whatever Molly (Meggan's chestnut) happened to do. (Roo and Molly are inseparable friends) We did not stay out anywhere nearly as long as last week, but it was still great fun. We went out on the trail the old way, so nearly everything felt a little different this week. The green waterproof coat I bought at my company store worked very well for its intended purpose. :)

I few people in my group at work dressed up for Halloween, so I dressed up in my camouflage from rotc, complete with cover, LCE, jacket, brown t-shirt underneath and shined combat boots (they needed cleaning with all of the riding in the mud I've been doing these last few weeks). I won the impromptu award for "Attention to Detail". It was pretty fun. My boss dressed up like a cat, my coworker like Sandy from Grease, and others like "the man in the yellow hat" from Curious George, and Dorthy from WizofOz.

And with my military outfit, I learned about a few guys military service that I didn't know about before. It turns out one of the guys was one of the last eight Americans out of Vietnam. He was a navy man at the embassy, and was there only 2 or 3 hours before the Vietcong overran it! Holy cow! What a story to tell! Some people were confused about my nametape being my name. They asked if it was my dad's outfit or something, although it's a small/short size uniform that he'd never fit in, even back in the 80's :) So a lot of people found out that I did ROTC as well.

This morning I woke up at 10:25. It was well needed; I think my schedule during the week really wears me out. I'm finding myself so tired all the time! After cleaning up my desk and carefully checking over my credit card bill, I read a chapter from Starlight Barking, and was amused to find that everyone in the book was sleeping in as well! It's been really nice just staying home all day and taking care of things around the house. It's just my mom and sister and I, since my dad is off with a friend and my brother is off with his friends as well. So it has been relaxingly quiet.

I'm getting into a habit of talking about Fridays and Saturdays together, aren't I? I guess I pretty much stay off my computer on Fridays, just like I like to stay at home on Saturdays.

Jp

No comments: