Monday, September 22, 2008

Zoooooooooo!











Sunday:

After a good sermon that included a description of the Christian perspective on history, Becky and I headed over to Seattle's Woodland Park Zoo, for nearly six hours of fun. I hadn't been there in over ten years, so many things were brand new for me.





















My favorites were the lions, the giraffe barn, the African elephant, the budgerigar room (where we were able to hand-feed them with little seed bunches glued to a stick) and especially the Komodo Dragon. I've always been into dinosaurs and dragons, ever since I was a kid; I have nearly the entire Carnegie Dinosaur Collection.


http://www.carnegiemnh.org/









I think my interest must have been sparked by going to those Creation conferences with my parents as a kid. Creation science helped my mom understand Christianity for the first time since she had been very confused on the macro-evolution issue when she did wildlife biology in graduate school. So we were often exposed to fun facts about dinosaurs and the like. Very cool stuff.

We were able to take in the entire zoo. The weather was great - there were a few drops, and many clouds, but after a couple hours the sun broke through and it felt like it really was fall! What a glorious day! It was probably around 60 degrees. I must be some sort of an animal nut. The zoo store is incredible! I got a realistic-looking stuffed elk and a few plastic models, along with a couple patches.


When we returned, we picked up my sister at home and went out to a fabulous dinner at a family owned and operated Italian restaurant in our neighborhood, called Pizza Bank (the building had previously been a bank). I had spaghetti with clams in clam sauce and it was delicious. Especially when they add that huge hunk of garlic bread and that yummy home-made salad! Mmm! What a day.

Jp

2 comments:

niferjen said...

Linda, if you're ever in the Seattle area, I want to take you to the budgie room at the zoo. I just wanted to stay there forever with all those budgies flying around and tweeting their heads off. LOL There was even a short, 5-6 second moment of silence. :)

Linda said...

Oh, what fun! And what a handsome young man eating seed!