Friday, September 12, 2008

What a Day!

Today I crawled out of bed just in time to make it to Jazzercise at 6am. This was my first Friday class in a long time, and I always love Mary's sessions! She's the teacher on Fridays. I got to work early, since Friday hours are 8am to Noon, and started by scanning my co-worker's data books. I finished my how-to guide that I was tasked to write this year that goes through and explains all my job functions in one of my departments, and my boss was impressed with the format I created for it. She paid me the ultimate compliment by asking me to proof-read her paper for her class she's taking (she's finishing up her bachelor's of business degree). I love helping out and I hope my comments helped her, although I only had about 15 minutes to give them. Work is fun when most of what I do is write... I'm going to miss working on my assignment, even if it was only a technical report. Anything is better than processing an already processed Usage Change Request.

When I got home, I ate a quick lunch and then my sister and I headed out for Carnation to ride our horses. We tacked up and went out for a short trail ride. Roo was wonderful with his new shoes, until he decided to hop around weird and hurt his back leg again. I think he pulled it when he does those little dances when he freaks himself out. Oh, Roo. We did some trotting and unexpected cantering, so that made things exciting. We also had an issue with standing still when I was re-mounting, but we got through it alright. I love riding out there! It makes me feel like a country girl for a little while at least. It is a nice respite from the city.

After we finished riding, we were invited into our friend's house for a few games of Nertz (Dutch Blitz, with regular decks), none of which I won, but some I did well on. I played the exact same number of cards as Susan did on several hands. That was a little extraordinary. When we finished, I took the opportunity to lay down on the couch for a moment while everyone else talked. I was wiped out, and I fell asleep for a while. It was most refreshing! When I woke up it was time to go home. We stopped at McDonald's on Redmond Ridge, and I had a Big'n Tasty, a small fry and a dollar side-salad. By the time we got home, I had just enough time to change my burnt-out headlight and take the dog for a walk before it was time to run over to the University for the first rally of the season.

Natalie, Erik and Alex were already there when I pulled into the Husky Union Building parking lot. It was a great revival of fun, as Natalie was wearing her t-shirt that I found for her in China, along with a bright purple wig. Oh my! What a good time was had by all! There were at least 15 mellophones there, including 4 of the 5 new rookies. I was able to meet them all, and it looks like they'll have a great section this year. They made very slight changes to some of the choreography this week during drills. Natalie said it was the hardest drills that she ever had, because this time they're not doing Band Day tomorrow, but doing a regular marching show for halftime instead. It sounded like it was intense! I can't wait to WATCH the halftime show for the first time in FIVE years. Ahhhh. I was also able to get my hands on a free parking pass for tomorrow, so that was nice too. The rally started at 8:45 and finished up at the regular spot in front of Suzzalo Library on Red Square at 10:20.

Beat the Sooners tomorrow!
Jp