Monday, September 15, 2008

Football - Week 3

Saturday, September 13

You might call me an optimist if I say I had a great day.
The Huskies got slaughtered 54-14 by the Oklahoma Sooners.

However, I had a great day. I played in the regular Alumni Band for the first time, entertaining fans all over the parking lots at six different locations before the game started. We probably had to walk two miles to get to all the different places we played at. I was the only mellophone player that I had seen before, but there was a very nice lady named Emily, who was a Husky Band mello in the '99 and '00 seasons, and her boyfriend Victor from Chicago. They were just visiting for the weekend since they live in LA. I wish that wasn't the case, though, because they were both great players and both very nice to get to know. Victor was a great sport about learning the choreography - it can be very difficult! After explaining the sideways "W" that we move our horns in during a certain song, he said, "Oh, that's what that was!" LOL! That reminds me so much of my reaction during my rookie year, not too many years ago. He didn't see how we were supposed to be able to play at the same time. LOL!!!! I think it took me 3/4 through my first year before I could master the one we're talking about.

My chops were shot after 2 hours of playing for the fans. I guess it didn't matter though, since the Alumni Band really didn't play much during the game, because we were sitting in our regular spot in the west endzone next to the Sooner Band "The Pride of Oklahoma"(I was surprised that they came in their full marching uniforms), which played quite often for the sea of red-decked UO fans. (They also had a lot more to celebrate about) It was very relaxing to just sit and watch, eat a sandwich, chat and watch the Varsity Husky Band. We got to play 'Vict'ry' twice though: one after each touchdown. (she shakes her head in shame for her poor team.)

During half-time, after the marching show, we all went out on the track that separates the crowd from the football field and played 4 or 5 tunes for fans on the south side of the stadium. I have to say this: Oklahoma fans certainly appreciate bands, no matter what school. They certainly live up to their name of being one of the more polite groups in NCAA football. I say all this because a few of the UO fans that were sitting there stood up to clap for us after each song.

I suppose I just like entertaining fans, and don't care much for football scores (but what other option do I have? hmm...)
So, I had a great time on Saturday.

Jp

P.S. to Blogger.com: try adding Mellophone to your dictionary. Gosh!

Suggestions given for correcting it: cellphone, cellophane, megaphone, telephone, xylophone.

Uh, no.

No comments: