Sunday, June 3, 2012

Laid-Back Last Weekend In San Diego

I felt no pressure to create a marvelous last weekend for myself... it just happened. :)

After a quick breakfast at home, I finally made it over to the library well past their 9:30 opening time... I think it was closer to 12:30. More audiobooks to be fitted out... and that was about it. Snack at home, then picked up my bow and arrows and headed for Balboa Park for a few rounds. It was good fun, as always. The park was crammed though. I thought I'd eat at one of the restaurants there, but they were all taken up or closed down because of all the wedding celebrations going on. I saw five different brides (and their parties) along the Prado (main thoroughfare). I know it's June, but good grief! It is a public park too! :)

So I thought I'd go downtown, since I was nearby, and get something to eat there. Had a whale of a time getting some parking, as there was a Padres game in progress when I arrived. Found out Mr. Smith Goes to Washington was playing in an hour, so I decided on something quick... rice & beans at Fred's Mexican Cafe (for $3.60 total!) as I watched a bit of the OKC Thunder game, then a small burger at Burger Lounge across the street. By the time I walked a couple blocks north to the theater, it was just time to begin. Got a little combo of popcorn, iced tea and candy for less the cost of a regular popcorn... then settled in for a fantastic experience of a great film played the way it had been 73 years ago. It was moving... I was crying by the time the little kid was stumbling over the Gettysburg Address. Good grief, it's so good!

And Sunday! Everyone at church was so nice! The pastor even said a few things about me after service. Jenny made me lemon bars and chocolate cake to share in the fellowship hall afterwords as she had offered. Very yummy! It was so good to be able to say goodbye to everyone... Russ gave me a big hug and said "Nuts to the Navy... they can't have you!". I love all of them so much... so thankful for Facebook, and the chance to still keep up with them. That night for small group, Andy and Kristin made broiled steak, zucchini and garlic bread (and fresh strawberries!) for a special dinner. Luke and Christina also came with baby Liam, and I was able to hold him! I had finished up watching season 5 of Foyle's War that afternoon so I could return it to the Jacobs right then. Sort of fitting day to get to that wonderful last episode.

Happy VE day, everyone... and I'll miss you. :(

Jw

No comments: