Friday, December 16, 2011

Waiting and Waiting

This week I spent most of my time at home watching movies to make the time go by faster. Finished watching the film "Whales" on Monday while I had some tuna helper.

Tuesday night I watched Garden State from what I picked up at the library on Sunday, instead of Jane Eyre, which I waited to watch until after we graduated and had our celebratory breakfast at Perry's on Wednesday morning. Good thing too! Because it was 3 hours and 48 minutes long! It was the Masterpiece Theatre version from 1996. I loved it! Went to the library again that night to return the movies and volunteer for a while. When I was leaving, I noticed there was to be a concert starting in a few minutes in the community room... the Peninsula Singers were putting on a Christmas show, complete with an audible version of Carol of the Bells and ranging from some Hanukkah songs to the famous passages from Handel's Messiah. I loved their medley with Home for the Holidays, Let it Snow, & I'll be Home for Christmas. But while I volunteered, I picked up three more movies that I really wanted to see... and I watched last year's Robin Hood with Russell Crowe between talking to Mike. Thursday afternoon it was 2009's Up in the Air, with George Clooney, and then that night I saw a live radio play of It's a Wonderful Life at the Cygnet Theater in Old Town. Boy, I loved that! The costumes, the actors, the set! I sat in the dead center a few rows back. And the guy who played Jimmy's role spoke with certain inflections at certain times just like Jimmy did in '46.

Friday was a wild one. Got home at 11am... all checked out from the Navy and good to go for the next seventeen days! I managed to eat lunch, finish all my laundry, clean my room, do my dishes, watch A Newsreel History of the Third Reich (from the 1941 eastern front), return all three movies to the library, send a package of presents home via the post office, and pack, all before my friend Hibbard came to take me to the airport around 5:45. Whew! And United was not busy at all, so I went right through. Free checked bag for being in the military, and there were only a couple people at security... so I had tons of time to talk to Meg on the phone, as well as my Darling before they boarded us. And they gave me priority that way too... there were about 40 military flying this first leg, from SD to SF. A non-eventful flight... it was so short, and then I talked to Mom while charging my phone waiting for the final flight. And I slept my way through all of that one. :)

No comments: