Saturday, November 12, 2011

My Veteran's Day

I spent a good amount of time in my room yesterday morning, going through emails, taking care of bills, and figuring out what I wanted to do that day. Had Subway for lunch, and got a call from the SD symphony... good tickets for any of their concerts... so I signed up for Vivaldi's Four Seasons on Dec.4, and for the Russian Ballet's performance of "The Sleeping Beauty" this February! What a deal!

Picked up my friend Laramie from the ASW base, and checked out the Creation & Earth History Museum in Santee. They have a walk-through describing the 7 days of creation (loved the room dedicated to astronomy), the fall of man, the flood (with a room set up like the inside of the ark), and various other events in history like the tower of Babel, the Rosetta Stone, various human religions with their theories on origins, and portraits of 19th century scientists from both perspectives. And as a new addition since ICR left, a walk-though detailing the complexity and wonder of human anatomy. I thought it was wonderful!

The main purpose of the day was to enjoy a free dinner at Applebee's. They very generously offer six different entrees to choose from. Laramie and I both had penne pasta with grilled chicken and a baguette. I splurged and added a salad for $3.50. :) It was very good! And we only had to wait a half-hour for our table (I passed the time by reading the book "The Help")... and while we began to eat, they were playing the opening ceremonies for the first "Carrier Classic" basketball game on the USS John C. Stennis, CVN 70. How odd to see a flight deck covered with a court and stands! Saw the arrival of the president and the presentation of the national anthem with members from all the services. We were done before the game began, but I don't really watch basketball anyway. I especially liked eating at Applebee's since that's the first place I ate out after graduating last year today.

We had a bunch of time before the movie night at my church friend's apartment at 7. So I thought since we were in town, we could knock off some time by checking out a local army/navy surplus store. And they ended up being open as long as we needed, so I dug through their huge bins of patches and found a U.S. NAVY tape in Army ACU with Velcro, like a person would wear if they were attached to an Army outfit in the middle east. Also found an old utilities style PO 3rd class patch, and a mini Marine LCPL, like my brother is. These are now added to my bulletin board. :)

Still had time to kill... so we drove around, found a Denny's, and I had hot chocolate and shared some pancake puppies with Laramie before we headed off to movie night. And how fun was that! I brought "Miss Potter", which they all had never seen before, and we decided to watch it. We stayed for a good hour-and-a-half longer than the movie for a lively chat about everything under the sun. :) Turns out both Laramie and Andy & Kristin are from the same part of northern California, and Laramie's dad was the vice principal of the high school Andy & Kristin went to!

Goodness! Turned out to be a wonderful day! And when I got home, there was a big bouquet of flowers from my Darling for the one-year anniversary of graduating RTC and our wonderful time together in Chicago and with my family... and for Veteran's Day. What a sweetheart! :)

Jw

No comments: