Sunday, October 30, 2011

Sunny Day

I got up early for a Sunday... 7am. Had time for a little breakfast at Panera (for a treat)... 4 cheese souffle, and an apple chunk cinnamon muffin with hot earl grey tea. Ah... delicious. First I had dropped off "King of the Wind" on audio CD and the 2 films I borrowed back at the library. On the way down to Liberty Station, this is what I was treated to:

Glorious so far... and then I got some groceries at Trader Joe's, just across from Panera, took everything home, and was still early enough at church to chat with my friends from the small group. Andy led worship, and they sang that wonderful "O Glorious Day" again. Sermon continued Paul's salutation from Titus, and focused on the words "grace" and "peace". The main point of the sermon was that faith is the catalyst for grace, as well as the requirement for peace. Good little talk!

From there I decided to head out to the Cabrillo Monument again, maybe to do some exercise. I did practice push-ups once, but all I really did was walk along the edge (it was high tide) and read "Robin Hood". This was after I visited the store and got a few low-maintenance pets... 4 of those Audubon birds that sing when you touch them. Also got a ID card for waterfowl, and a little Golden book guide to Weather. Random, I know; but not if you know my husband. :)

Drove down Catalina and Chatsworth to the library, where they desperately needed all 3 of the hours I gave them. Then I thought it would be nice to have one of those great burgers with avocado at Crazee Burger in Old Town... didn't want fries, so I walked across the street to enjoy a side of rice and beans (for very cheap!) at Fred's Mexican Restaurant (sounds authentic, doesn't it? lol) Since I was in the Mexican mood, on my way back to the car, I picked up one of those Mexican blankets from a street vendor that I've been meaning to get for a while.

Unbeknownst to me, the trolleys weren't running due to construction on the tracks downtown. After I had bought a ticket, they told me so. Of course. I just wanted to avoid parking downtown, because it's not always possible to get a $5 space. So they had a new bus shuttle running in its place, and it worked out alright. My driver couldn't speak much English, but I figured I wouldn't have to walk far from the schedule she showed me.

I had a ticket for the single showing of "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" (1920, John Barrymore) at the San Diego Symphony Hall. It was accompanied by a professional organist, and arranged by the same, Mr. Russ Peck. It started with the 1929 organ rising out of the floor, and him playing the theme from 2001. He had a long black cape on, and he revealed a Dracula costume when he addressed the audience. It was a thrilling movie, and the music felt very authentic... some of it from the same time period (1917). I only knew the basic premise of the story, so it was intriguing. And it was only just over an hour long! A lovely experience.

I read more Robin Hood on the way home, and thought I'd start getting car sick pretty soon, so I'm glad it was a short ride. I bet I'm going to have a bit of trouble with that in the Navy.

Jw

1 comment:

Linda said...

King of the Wind, as in Marguerite Henry? I love that book!