Sunday, September 19, 2010

Happy Tales

When I woke up, Mom was just preparing to leave to pick up Dad from the cruise ship. He had been on the cruise to Alaska for a week with his Mom and sister, and a few other relatives. So I kept myself busy doing a couple tasks I wanted done before I leave. Updated the movie spreadsheet and created the Facebook album of the last two trips. By the time I did that, Mom, Dad and Grandma had just returned... so I quickly changed out of my pajamas. :)

We did a little bit of prep for the party... Mom had already done little things along the way, like make the salmon dip, bake the cookies & lemon bars, and prepare the lettuce. We had to get the veggie tray together and slice the tomatoes... and things like that.

Meg & Jason came early to help get things ready and soon after, Andie, Nathan & the kids arrived. Tom and Bette came next. They're *long*time friends of my parents... and Tom was in the Navy himself for a stint. Aunt Penny, Uncle Don and Don's sister Linda were right after them. This was our group for lunch... it was a grand time. As people left, more came! Jason's parents, and later, our friends, the Mayfields. I was able to fit in a walk with the poor dog... so much food and people and baby bunnies (that Andie brought over), he was going crazy. :)

By 6 pm, most had gone. I wanted to go to my church one more time and Mom & Dad shared it with me. It was a wonderful sermon on remembering the incredible holiness of God, and how that's the best thing to be reminded of... as for the last few weeks they had been reading First Corinthians, and how we should keep ourselves morally and sexually pure ("Be holy, for I am holy." 1 Peter 1). The sermon itself focused on Isaiah's encounter with God (Isaiah 6: 1-8) and how he instantly saw how incredibly unholy he was. Loved how the pastor took this and brought it back to the cross: how we see God's holiness through his intense hatred of sin - enough to kill his son, and then his perfect grace in the long-standing offer of forgiveness to anyone who will accept it. It was the perfect reminder at the perfect time.

Back at home we enjoyed "My Favorite Wife" (Cary Grant) for a barrel of laughs. But saying goodnight was a little more meaningful... a couple tears were shed as Mom and I hugged for a few moments. Puppy joined in the crying as he lay at our feet, waiting to play... and we couldn't help but laughing. :)

And then it was one more wonderful talk with Mike before bed, and my last sleep as I live here. sigh

Sweet dreams,
Jp

No comments: