Monday, April 12, 2010

Sailors, Horses and Historians

or, "What I did with my weekend".

Saturday morning my legs were very, very sore. I got up around 8:00 or so and spent most of the morning setting up my Facebook group for Navy things. I don't know if it was a good idea to do is so far in advance, but I've already been sitting on the idea for a couple months, and I want to see everyone get in it before I go. I think it was a good thing.

My big plan for the weekend was to go horseback riding. I mentioned this to Mom the day before and she also wanted to go so she could measure two of the girls for the wedding (she's making their dresses!). And then suddenly Meg was free because her (almost) other half was suddenly busy... so she came along too! She and Mom took care of the measuring while I got the horses ready... Rooster was such a brat! It took me five minutes to pick one back hoof! (it is the one he's usually bad about, so I wasn't too shocked or anything). But it doesn't make sense. I do it just like all the other ones and Meg says he's been doing it just fine for her. Who knows.

But the day was just lovely! Even though there were a bit of hazy clouds, we could see the freshly-snow-dusted Cascades magnificently. All I needed in terms of the temperature was a thin sweatshirt... and it was beautiful fun. We only saw a few butterflies and robins and sparrows on the ride, but when we were leaving in the car we encountered a doe on the road.

Once back at home, we decided to go out to Mexican for dinner at our favorite little place, Santa Fe Mexican Grill with Dad and Jason as well. It was fabulous, as always. I just love their chicken enchiladas! And then at home again, we stuck in "Thoroughly Modern Millie" with Julie Andrews (1967) and we all enjoyed it during chat. We caught the tail end of a Doctor Who episode while I was just getting on, so that was sort of appropriate. :) The movie was hysterical! I little on the silly side, but that's okay by me! And Mom recognized a few of the other people (since apparently they were famous)... speaking of generation gaps... LOL! It was pretty much the perfect end to a perfect day.

Sunday morning I actually slept in for the first time in weeks! I did wake up for a moment early on, but I didn't wake up until 11:20... and I don't think I got out until 11:50. Aaaahhh! So nice!

For most (the rest) of Sunday I went through some stuff that was stacked on my floor (after lunch of course). My quest to clean up took me through old course packs from college history classes, photo albums, letters from recruiters from when I was 17, scrapbooks I had slapped together with stuff from Jr. High, High School and so on. Goodness gracious. Lots of memories. I got stuck in there practically all night.

I felt really bad about missing the church service I had wanted to go to... and we watched a stupid ol' modern movie after I discovered that fact. I don't much enjoy modern movies compared to the neat older ones I've been treated to lately. It was entertaining to a degree; it was "action packed" for sure, but that was pretty much it ("Wolverine" 2009, Hugh Jackman). Modern screenplays make me cringe. Afterwords, I went back at my room and all the history surrounding me made me forget all about it.

Jp

No comments: