Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Late Night Out

After work last evening, I rushed home for a quick baked potato dinner before running off to catch a bus to downtown Seattle. My friend and her three brothers and I were all going to see Switchfoot in concert for their new album's tour "Hello, Hurricane". I took a bus because I had to go alone and I didn't feel like parking downtown. So Mom dropped me at a Park & Ride just this side of Lake Washington and I got a bus that took me all the way downtown. We had to go through the tunnel under the convention center that I had never been through before... I've never had to take a bus there before.

I was the first of our group to arrive, but I was still quite a ways from the door in line, the line wrapping half-way around the block. I picked out Chaya's oldest brother as he was trying to find the end of the line. Hadn't seen him since, I don't know... when I was a teenager or before... yikes! After a moment, her youngest brother got dropped off, and after we made it inside (and suffered through the opening act) her other younger brother arrived. Chaya had to take care of a dog she was dog-sitting, and got there right when it started. Oh, my gosh! What a fun one.

The band started with the first song on their new album, and Jon, the lead singer was standing on a railing just behind us when it began - like ten feet away. Whoa. That surprised me! We were in sorta the back of the room on the floor away from the stage. There weren't any chairs... so gosh, I stood up quite a while. They played through their entire album, straight through for an hour! And it was outstanding! They sounded even better than they did at the last one I went to, a year or two ago. Jon played guitar, piano and harmonica and absolutely nailed the songs. Wow.

So right after going straight through the album, they played ten more songs... their best from five of their previous albums...

Awakening, from Oh, Gravity!
Gone, from The Beautiful Letdown
This is Your Life, from The Beautiful Letdown
Oh, Gravity!
Chem 6A, from their first
Only Hope, from New Way to be Human
Dare You to Move, from The Beautiful Letdown
Stars, from Nothing is Sound
The Shadow Proves the Sunshine, from Nothing is Sound
and Meant to Live, from The Beautiful Letdown

... which lasted for another 3/4 hour! But it felt like just a few minutes!
The place was sold out, and it was rather cozy in there... I was a little afraid at times that the big guy jumping up and down next to me might land on my foot... but he never did. :)

My friend drove me home afterwards, and I got in bed around midnight-thirty.
Ah, what a time! It was so beautiful.

As for today, it was busy at work, and I've been rather tired... lol.

I'm finishing this post at about 10PM, and we just finished watching South Pacific. Wow, how funny it is!

Jp

No comments: