Thursday, January 22, 2009

Discoveries

Last night, after a long day of work, and a quick dinner, my brother and I headed to downtown Bellevue for the Lincoln Square Cinema... it was my first time there, but my bro is a regular... I was very impressed. It's two stories up in a very fancy mall; the main lobby is circular, with all the theater doors in a ring surrounding it. We were only a little early, but the vast expanse of dark, leather-like seats was completely empty when we walked in. We went high up in the middle. I think there was one movie in the previews that looked interesting, but otherwise... ? I think I'll have to miss out on the opportunities.

My goodness, Defiance was good! And not because of the satisfying ingredient of dead Nazis and guns... as I've heard some bloggers require for good movies - :) No, it was just excellent... it's so hard to describe... they made it feel real - but believably real. What a story they had to tell! My goodness! 1,200 people surviving for years in the forest while actively being hunted by German soldiers... What the heck?! I don't have any idea about the level of historical accuracy, but if what they portrayed was mostly true, about being bombed and attacked, these people were amazing! They laid down suppressive fire like they were an organized army! They fought hard against so many things: hunger, bitter cold, Germans, boredom, fatigue... etc. Oh, and Daniel Craig was good too. Holy cow! As my brother said, "That's the best ten bucks I've spent in a long time."

Today (skipping ahead) I had a five-hour training class at work called "Insights" Training. I answered a few questions about how I normally react to things on a form a few weeks ago, and then this company generated a summary, speaking about my behavior and how I relate to others. I was surprised that a lot of it sounded about right. They have a color system, and I am a "Blue" analytical person, while the rest of my group is pretty much the "Yellow" extroverted people. I'm not sure if I would classify myself as strongly as they did, but I suppose that while I'm at work, and while I'm not with close friends, I tend to be pretty introverted. I like to be reserved until I've come to know you... (I suppose)... because once I've made a friend, I am pretty intensely loyal to them... why am I thinking of Betty? LOL! I'm trying to not be too introverted though, ever since I realized I was so very much so in Community College. I like to take risks and try new things and travel... oh, my! do I!

And then tonight in photography class, we talked forever about toning and bleaching film prints... which was only very slightly interesting, because I am going to do only digital now (because this will also be new - fine printing digital images). We then watched a film by a fabulously simple, fun-loving and famous photographer, Keith Carter. He loved just making pictures! He loved pretty much everyone he met! He went to "graduate school" by taking a three week trip to New York when he was in his 20's, and spending all of the time in the MoMA, looking at famous photographer's works. He once heard a playwright speak about belonging to a place, and letting that influence your art. My! I am inspired!

On to tomorrow!
Jp

No comments: