Monday, October 14, 2013

Easy Going!

Today has been a wonderful break... many thanks to Christopher for his endurance and fortitude in coming to America. Maybe he wasn't a perfect person, but he certainly contributed a great deal to the outcome of human history and still is an outstanding role model for anyone lacking courage.

Last night I finished up the TV series on another visitor to America... I said goodbye to Stephan Fry as he finally reached the Pacific Ocean. I found out some new things about the country, including places I'd really like to see... and was excited to see him going places and doing things I've done myself... In the next to last episode, he gets to ride in the Sentimental Journey across Arizona that I saw in person (in Phoenix) in March 2010. I'm very jealous!

When he went to an Auburn Football game, he made a statement during the pregame ceremonies that I liked: "I really don't know of anything that sums up America better... that's simultaneously preposterous, incredibly laughable, impressive, charming, ridiculous, expensive, over-populated... wonderful... American." It was pretty neat with the crowd screaming the lyrics to God Bless America, while a few fighter jets flew by overhead. Stephan's face at that moment was priceless. 


I ate out for every meal! I haven't eaten out very much at all lately, so this was a dramatic change for one day. Started out with a crabmeat omelet at the Sandfiddler Cafe, then on my way to go shoot archery over in Hampton, I stopped at Panera Bread and had a hot turkey panini sandwich and a Greek salad. Picked up a couple frames for postcards at Michael's, then shot a few rounds at the archery range. Baked the leftover pumpkin pie materials when I got home, then went to church. I'm sorry to say I fell asleep after a while (it was a good sermon though... I'll have to listen to it online), since I never took a rest after a long watch and a full morning. After communion and singing, I went to dinner at Carrabba's Italian Grill again, this time off of Battlefield Blvd, which wasn't far from church. The Seahawks won as I ate.

Today, I slept in, had a bountiful breakfast at home, then proceeded to clean the house... like a deep clean! Then I took some things to the thrift store, picked up some tacos for dinner next door, then got my car's breaks repaired just down the street. While waiting I had dinner, read in Neptune's Inferno and looked through a book I picked up at the thrift store... Rijksmuseum Amsterdam... a little picture book of paintings from their art museum... and that was a good bit of fun, purchased for $1.99. And then I talked with Meg and my parents for a good long while, and that was best of all.

Jw

No comments: