Friday, April 12, 2013

Sunday and Beyond

Last Sunday, I caught up on my posting, but failed to write about the day itself. In the afternoon, I picked up a friend from the ship who's getting out of the Navy soon, and together we went to the Virgina Symphony in Virginia Beach. It was a short, kid-friendly, afternoon concert called "Up, Up and Away" with space and flight-themed music. They acted as if everyone was on "Virginia Symphony Airways" flight, and the conductor even wore a captain's uniform. "Flight attendants" came out in the beginning to show us where the exits were and how to use the program. They started with Ride of the Valkyries, which caused a delay in our taking off the runway, then Flight of the Bumblebee, as the captain conducted with a fly-swatter. Suddenly, we were in space for the Star Wars Suite (Rebels, Yoda's Theme, Imperial March) then came back down to earth's atmosphere to come across E.T. on a bike, and a floating house from Up. They finished with the Suite from How to Train Your Dragon. Goodness! How fun is that?!

From the symphony, we drove directly to church, at the new one I was introduced to last week. We were very early, enjoyed just sitting and listening to the worship band's rehearsal while we talked. Kristin and Dan came and sat with us, and afterwords, they had a huge potluck for everyone... pulled pork or beef sandwiches and baked beans. It was very delicious. And the sermon was wonderful too. More on Colossians about God's will for our lives, firstly, that we belong to him, and then that we surrender every area of our lives as if everything we do for family, work, friends or society is for him; and how that compliments those areas in the end.

This week I've taken it pretty easy... finished up my last two puzzles and watched lots of movies (Jarhead... I was forever curious... now no more, Guys and Dolls... which I heartily enjoyed, and to follow it up, On the Waterfront... which has to be Karl Malden's best role ever, and to finish, Toy Story 3... which I missed in theaters because I joined the Navy - and still hadn't seen for some reason - ... who knew an animated story could be so moving. I actually cried in the end... they did a great job wrapping up that story.) Tonight I've got Virginia City (Errol Flynn, Randolph Scott, Humphrey Bogart, 1940) to try. I also managed to stop being lazy today, and actually did a workout at the gym on base to see where I'm at for next month's test. I did the best I've ever done... 132 calories in 12 minutes... which is an Excellent, I think.


Nothing too exciting in the way of food this week, except for last night when I treated myself out to the Ship's Cabin for scallops and hot bread. I got to sit outside, it has been so warm here! I loved hearing the ocean as I read more in the Caine Mutiny while I waited for the food.





Oh, and after I mowed my lawn Monday night, I found this toad trapped behind the wire under my fence and set him free... so glad I didn't hurt him with the mower!

And while driving around this week, I've listened to the first half of 1776 by David McCullough. I love it! I'll have to get John Adams on audio as well sometime.

Jw  

No comments: