Saturday, March 9, 2013

Big Indulgence









 (Doing my laundry in Ocean View... and reading the Caine Mutiny as I did.)










Friday, we were let go just after 1100. I went straight to the NEX and commissary to buy new covers and pick up food for the next day. It wasn't too long after I got home that my replacement posters (from a lost order from January) arrived. While waiting for them, I broke out my Sleeping Beauty wood puzzle (a gift from a long time ago). I also planned out what all I wanted to do before the command party that night...
First, I sold the copper trash from the ship at a recycling place downtown. It was much easier to do than I expected... there was someone waiting to weigh the metal, he gave a receipt, then the lady in the office calculated the price and paid in cash. They gave me $22 for the 8.6 lbs of thin wire that I wrapped.

Stopped by Chipotle for a quick late lunch, then went to Bob's Gun Shop with the intention of just looking around. I've been considering buying an M9 Beretta (the pistol the Navy uses), and they had a used one there on sale, and only lightly used. I decided, in the interests of getting used to handling the weapon I often have to carry, and having a weapon handy in the house (although not much for firepower), and being able to use it at any range I please, that it would be a good purchase.

From there it was just time to head over to the Norfolk Waterside Marriott to help with the command's holiday party, a couple months rescheduled. As part of the MWR team, I was assigned to give out the one free drink ticket to each attendee. The food was quite good too... a buffet with ham, steak, and flounder with crab on top. I enjoyed a glass of white wine, and danced a few times with fellow sonar techs. I had a copy of The Caine Mutiny with me at the table as I was waiting for people to check in. The Supply Officer, the Weapons Officer and the Commanding Officer all made comments... SUPPO said it was banned in the wardroom, WEPS told me to tell him first if I ever thought of mutinying, and the CO directed me to not get any ideas. LOL :)

Today I got a few errands done in Hampton... ammunition, frames for posters, and a few things at the grocery store. Since getting back I made myself some marvelous tacos for lunch, worked on the puzzle, put the posters up, and picked up a little. For the rest of the day I plan on doing my laundry, having an amazing seafood dinner at home, then going out to the symphony for the first time in Virginia. Can't wait!

Jw









It was swell! Held at Regent University in VB.

No comments: