Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Weekend in Town... and a few other days

Boy, is it hard to keep up on here! Lots of days I do barely anything worth mentioning, just because work takes so long. And then suddenly, I'm a week behind!

Of note, last Wednesday evening (July 18th) I swam at the pool on base, had dinner at "Mike's Pizza" on Hampton Blvd... my home away from home before I move into my house this Friday. I was done just in time to make it to the showing of North by Northwest at a theater in Chesapeake (about a half-hour away). Mike had let me know about it and he went in Oklahoma as well. Sort of a date night. :)

Also, along the way I listened to The 1920s Radio Network, 99.3 FM, Virginia Beach, for some good old-time radio music. Had discovered the station that Monday, while doing a scan of stations... the Christian station always had some talk-show on; I was giving up on them... and I'm glad I did! I can play a CD any time I want! But a nearly unlimited playlist of great old music? Not a chance!

Friday afternoon we got out late. I went to the theater downtown to see Dark Knight Rises (I enjoyed it) and had Chili's for dinner. I checked into the America's Best Value Inn on Ocean View Blvd for the weekend when I got back. It was raining when I went back to the car, but that didn't bother me... they even had covered parking!

Saturday morning I went back to the Sandfiddler for breakfast, just in time for my 9am appointment at the Pretlow Branch Library, also on Ocean View Blvd. Worked for 3 hours, getting introduced to their system, checking in materials and re-shelving them. After that I tried out the Ocean View Pier seafood restaurant, then went to check out a discount furniture store I found online... and found a few pieces I liked very much. They only allowed holding furniture in the store for 3 days, so I had to return on Tuesday to buy it. On the way back, I looked around at the nearby Norfolk Visitor's Center and picked up lots of brochures for things to do. Back at the hotel I watched Young Lincoln (1939, Henry Fonda) on the bed, then for dinner... another local seafood restaurant in Ocean View... The Ship's Cabin... and watched a big lighting storm out to sea while I ate! Then I crashed back at the hotel and talked with my Darling.

Sunday morning I checked out, and went straight to church, back to Christian Fellowship near the airport. They have coffee and doughnut holes (chocolate ones!), and I had that to tide myself over. Went back to House of Eggs nearby (that Mike and I had tried) for a brunch special... toast & sausage gravy, eggs and hash... for $5.50! On the way to church I had passed a couple furniture places, so I returned that way and checked them out. Ended up getting some things at the Thrift Store... a neat folding chair, some dishes, and a rug for one of the rooms. Went downtown to see the Chrysler Museum of Art, and spent a good couple hours looking at their fabulous two-floor collection. I think it rivaled the art museum in Chicago, it was so neat! Had Panera Bread for dinner for the first time since California! A big avocado-Cobb salad! So very good! Stopped by my self-storage unit to drop some of my purchases off, then I went back to the theater downtown to watch Woody Allen's new movie To Rome With Love, but I didn't like it too much.

Monday, I worked at the library again, just for an hour-and-a-half though. Straightened up a few of the sections of DVDs, even though the staff themselves have given up on them. During the day I bought a queen bed from Walmart, and that evening at Mike's Pizza again, I watched Tangled from the library.

Tuesday (yesterday already!), I took a shower at the gym then went back to the discount factory outlet and purchased the couch and loveseat set and the dining room table with 4 chairs that I had my heart set on from when I first visited. It was the last ones they had of the couches, and the table is new in the box. Good price on everything too. Then I decided to look at a few nearby stores, then had dinner at a great Mexican restaurant (El Rodeo) and then stopped by the COX store in the mall to get Internet set up for Friday. Walmart was just nearby, so I went there too... $19 bookshelves (2), $16 coffee table, area rug, mirror, queen comforter, pillows, clock, trashcan, place mats... I stayed there quite a while! Will have to go back for a few things, but that's okay. :)

Can't wait for Friday!!! Today I ordered a Uhaul truck... and I'm going to get somebody from my division to help me unload it all once I get it there. Yay!

Jw

1 comment:

Linda said...

Great haul!!!! Don't envy you moving, though, with this heat. I remember the day we moved from the apartment to the old house, in 1995. It was 99 degrees with 99 percent humidity. A bunch of friends helped us move; what a blessing!