Monday, July 16, 2012

First Regular Weekend in Norfolk

It didn't start until roughly 9am on Saturday, but that's good enough! I started by picking up a couple things from my self-storage, then by dropping off my whites at a place on Hampton Blvd. to get my ship's rockers sewn on and to get them dry-cleaned. Had a wonderful breakfast at my favorite place, the Pancake House, then went to the NEX to pick up some rifle marksmanship ribbons, a gym bag, a new pair of khaki Capri's and a few other things. After that, I decided on finding the local library near where I'm going to live to get a library card and sign up to volunteer. It's a very new library (opened in 2008), and is very clean and well organized. A bit fewer materials than Point Loma, but they've got lots of computers and a giant kid's section upstairs. I can't wait to get going with them!

By the time I was done, it was much too late to go over to Hampton to see the Mariner's Museum... so I decided to get some lunch at the Willouhgby Inn Seafood Restaurant... and I'm so glad I did! Fantastic shrimp, scallops & trout, with sides... had to wait a while for their cook to arrive, but it was worth the wait. I survived a torrential downpour on I-64 for a mile and a half in order to get there too.

From there I thought I'd explore the coast between Ocean View and Virginia Beach on the other side. "First Landing State Park" and Fort Story lie directly between these two, and I stopped and enjoyed lovely views of the ocean, along with finding a lighthouse from the 1790s! I'll have to go back when the museum is open.

Got a motel nearby, swam in the pool, went out to eat. Chatted at the motel, watched Misty (1961) - my first check-out from the Norfolk library system. The next day I found another great breakfast place (The Sandfiddler), checked out a local church, met a lot of friendly people, then headed over to Hampton (across the bridge/tunnel) for three free hours at the Mariner's Museum. Half of it is dedicated to the recovery of the USS Monitor, and they have some pretty fabulous restored artifacts. They also have a miniature ship collection... all built by one man. If you think the precise historical detail and unbelievable artistic carving and painting isn't neat enough, look through the gun-ports on some of them and you'll see working rudders and wheels. The guy even wound his own miniature ropes! Wow. Needless to say, I'll be going back.

Had Mexican for dinner in Newport News. They had a fresh guacamole cart that came right up to the table as the guy made a big bowl of guacamole! Never had it that way before, and my goodness, was that something good.

It was a fun little weekend... but now it's back to business. This afternoon I went back to the library and found that they're very happy to have me come in and volunteer whenever I can... which makes me very happy. I have an appointment with a librarian this upcoming weekend to learn how this library does things. Yay! :) And then I drove the back-roads back to base and did 1,000 yds at the fitness center pool across from the piers with the carriers. Feels so good!

Jw

No comments: