Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The Unexpected

Last week Rita sent a message on FB, saying she and her mom would be visiting San Diego from Monday afternoon to Wednesday afternoon. While looking things to do up for them, I came across "Guys & Dolls" playing at the Lamb's Players Theater on Coronado at 7:30 on Tuesday. We all decided to go together, and since their morning sightseeing concluded around the time I got off from school, we'd spend a few hours together beforehand.

They picked me up around 2, and we continued down Rosecrans to the Cabrillo National Monument. It was a gorgeous day... not a cloud in the sky. We looked in the gallery exhibition on the Spanish explorers, then walked around outside the visitor's center for a view of the city and surrounding mountains and bay, along with a glimpse of Mexico in the distance. Then we walked up to the Old Point Loma Lighthouse, visiting the museum next door and the house itself. Wish they'd let people up top... oh well. We circled around the other side, looking at the expansive ocean to the west, then came back to the parking lot via the little coastal battery museum. It was up on top of an old bunker that we all decided to continue down to the tide-pools (it was a very low tide). Drove down to the water, got out and spent a good bit of time along the trail and on the slippery limestone coast. Saw lots of anemones, limpets, snails, shore crabs and their molts. It was a bit of exercise, but we all enjoyed it.

Came back home to change, then we carpooled to Coronado around 5:30. I was surprised how well the traffic flowed for that time of day. We were sitting down to eat at the Brigantine Seafood restaurant across from the theater (with will-call tickets in hand) at 6. We found a street-side parking space right in front of the theater! Everything went so perfectly... I had the most delicious shrimp and crab louie salad for dinner, and Alice, Rita's mom, generously picked up the whole tab. It was just after 7 when we crossed the street back to the theater and waited to be seated. The show itself was great! Live music and phenomenal singing and dancing! I had never seen the movie before, so the plot and most of the songs were brand new. It was captivating, and funny too. It let out just before 10, and Alice and Rita drove me home on their way back to their hotel in Mission Valley.

So today I was a little tired. After snacks for lunch, I watched some of my Tintin (Cigars of the Pharaoh), then slept for a good two hours, plus. I went to dinner (4:30ish), reading a chapter of Starship Troopers as I enjoyed a chicken enchilada, chile relleno and a big dish of guacamole at my favorite, Tio Carlos. I've launched into another audiobook as well... Julie Andrews's autobiography, "Home". I had no idea she lived in London during the Blitz, or that she had a wandering eye. Very interesting childhood, so far. Speaking of library materials, I drove directly from dinner to the library, where I spent two hours putting away two cart-loads of DVDs. Picked out three for myself as I put them in order before taking them downstairs. Unfortunately, it's too late to watch any tonight. :)

Jw

No comments: