Friday, September 2, 2011

Day at the Races

It started off kind of slow... I did my laundry. But it was the first loads of laundry in our brand new washers and dryers! So in a way, it was exciting. Had frosted mini-wheats for breakfast (woke up at 9!) and PB & honey on wheat around 11, and a salad at the galley for lunch.

Thought I had a dental cleaning this afternoon, but it ended up just being the doctor confirming that I needed one. So I was able to take off for Del Mar pretty early, at 2:30. Got there around 3, and the first race started at 4. I asked an employee about which gate to enter (I was in front of the club entrance at the time) and he gave me a free pass to get in the ($6) general admission gate. Wandered into their store to look around, found nothing, and then saw the paddock from a back window.

The rest of the time I spent between the paddock and the front rail of the racetrack, at least for the first three races. I had a hotdog for dinner, then caved in for a giant oatmeal raisin cookie. The next two races I saw from the different levels of the grandstand... and between races I wandered around and looked at all the neat old photos that were displayed everywhere.

I had pretty good luck... 1st race, my pick (#8 Hy Lime Time) got 3rd. 2nd race, my pick (#7 Dance With Gable) got 1st! 3rd race, my pick (#6 Money Lover) got 3rd, except he led the pack until the final stretch. 4th race I got skunked, but my pick (#1 Sabe) led the pack same as above... got 4th or 5th, or something. 5th race I got 1st again (#2 Battle School), but I wasn't paying as close attention. Two 1st's out of five... not bad. Too bad I didn't actually bet on some of them. :)

I didn't watch the 6th and 7th races because I wanted to get back to Point Loma in time for my small group meeting at the Presbyterian church that's starting up again for the fall. We're reading Richard Stern's (president of World Vision) "Hole in Our Gospel". It was a lively discussion to kick it off. And they were all very happy to hear that I was getting married so soon (it is a young married's group, after all). :)

Jp

No comments: