Monday, July 4, 2011

Sunday & The Fourth

After getting back from my trip, I still had another weekend!

Sunday I got up, took a shower, then met two of my friends on the Red Deck to go to the church I've been visiting. It was a good time... we even stayed afterwords for the potluck they have set up in a side room. Got to talk with a few folks, and the pastor too.

Upon getting back, I set to doing all my laundry, bed sheets & blanket too. Ever since staying in that questionable (yet expensive) motel in Santa Monica, I've been rather itchy. And Sunday morning I noticed some blister spots that itched intensely, on my arms, ankles, hand, calves... I think it was from the bed at the motel, but it could have been something in the pool I swam in on Thursday, or the ocean... who knows. Anyhow, it was a washing fury.

By the time I was done, it was 6:30pm. Sat down, looked at my email and found a message from the Old Globe about "Gershwin Alone", and how there were $20 seats left for the holiday weekend, ending with the 7pm performance that night! Who said I didn't have time? :) And I made it with 5 minutes to spare, partly because a parking space opened up in the closest lot. What a show! It was like being at a play and a symphony simultaneously! Hershey Felder was George Gershwin, telling his life story and playing selections along the way, touching on his major works. It ended with the complete Rhapsody in Blue, and then a sing-a-long of audience selected favorites. There was even a soloist once... a lawyer from the state supreme court was also a good singer at the drop of a hat. :) I was unfamiliar with these last ones, but they were lovely... very sweet love songs.

My Fourth of July was a little mild... kinda blue, actually. Sad to be away from family (I did talk to Mom though), but very proud of what I was doing. I was able to see Cars 2, as I was planning on doing yesterday. (But saw an incredible play instead... darn! :) It was funny, original and cute, as all Pixar movies are. Also had a great lunch at the mall's swank food court. Goat cheese salad with avocado, almonds, onions, mixed greens & a vinaigrette. Also a big, fresh lemonade from the 65 year old California business, "Hot Dog On A Stick".

Back on base, I decided to finally watch that collection of rare Bing Crosby shorts that turned out to be a series of patriotic films totally appropriate for the day. In one, the Declaration was read and discussed by some people invited over to Jack Benny's house. In another, the Fifth Freedom, the freedom of choice, was expounded upon. Very fun indeed; much more than I expected.

To end the day I went out and watched the simultaneous fireworks displays all over San Diego Bay...while I talked with Mike... there were 4 of them, not including a separate one over Coronado. The closest one was very close indeed, and very spectacular.

A wonderful 235th.

Jp

No comments: