Sunday, July 31, 2011

At the End of a Wonderful Weekend

Friday, the weekend started immediately after the afternoon muster. I had met somebody from my barracks back in Great Lakes on Thursday evening in Lib Hall. We were on our computers across from each other. He's an FC, here for C school, and has only been here three weeks. Not being around yet, I offered to show him Balboa Park and possibly a play as well. He said sure, and we met across the street at the sushi place. Never been there before, and it was excellent!

At Balboa we saw the Air & Space Museum (rode a WWII fighter simulator) and the Zoo (first riding across it in the gondola)... both of which were free for us active duty folks! About five o'clock we went downtown for Italian at a Bucca de Beppo (had a coupon from volunteering at the library) and we shared their mammoth lasagna and fried mozzarella! Yum! And then we returned to Balboa for the romantic comedy "Engaging Shaw", which opened that night (and was very clever and fun). In the big crowd they had for the opening of their annual gala event before the show started, I saw Ms. Naughton when her husband walked past us to join her. Didn't feel I should say hello, as they were talking and I was with someone who had no idea who she was. She was very elegant, in a simple black evening dress with a v neckline. I so wished I could, but I went right into the theater instead.

Saturday was very restful by contrast... we did so much walking the day before. Got up at 11:30! That's the longest sleep-in time ever, I think. I suppose I needed it, because I didn't feel like I over-slept either! I went right to the Library, forgetting that I wanted breakfast at Denny's... they needed lots of help, so I stayed until the 2:30 closing, shelving 3 and a half carts of popular fiction. I had my breakfast on the way back... boy was that good! Just my regular, but I hadn't had it in a while. Back in my room I watched "The Family Way" (1966, Hayley Mills... the first adult film I've seen her in!) and enjoyed it a bunch. The rest of the evening I spent going through the stuff in my closet, before I realized I was late for chat. And then the connection didn't work again (I think I shall try registering my nick).

Sunday it was another good sermon to follow up last week's. Charly and David met up with me there, and afterwords we took off together for an afternoon of snorkeling. Rented from a place on Mission Bay this time, and it was a few dollars cheaper for more time. Had Subway on the way, then saw a bunch of fishies in the cold water. We switched beaches half-way through, and at the second I felt like staying on solid ground. But I had brought my camera, so I was fully engaged the entire time. :) Had Chipotle on the way home, and that was it.

After all was said and done, I figured out I spent $100 on everything this weekend... I think I shall try to limit myself a bit more in the future with a budget.

No comments: