Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Three More Perfect Days

Saturday, June 4th:

Had no Navy impediment this day, but we didn't get started until around Noon anyway. :) I didn't get in bed the night before until pretty late (good thing my roommate was gone!) and I had a few things to take care of on base. We went out to "Perry's Breakfast House", the one I had gone to my first day in SD, a couple years ago. They have some very good corned beef hash... :)

Went to Balboa Park after that (a last minute decision), to visit the science center. Unfortunately, their weather exhibits I had hoped to show Mike were gone, but they did have an IMAX movie about Tornado Alley, and we certainly enjoyed that. It was just like home for him, and he hadn't seen an IMAX before. Also at Balboa we stepped into the botanical garden building (from the original exposition, built in 1915), and into the free art museum next door to that. Lovely time! And what beautiful, cool weather!

We had a break at the motel before we set off for dinner and the late-night outdoor movie. The first plan was to visit Little Italy, and the spaghetteria I had visited before. But the wait was too long... so we decided to go find something near the theater. And that place was just as nice, practically empty, and much quieter... and the only thing that would work for time. So, more like what we wanted! I had "The San Diegan" a crab/seafood salad sandwich with cheese & asparagus on grilled garlic sourdough. Wow! And the theater, "Cinema Under the Stars" was on the same block. We enjoyed popcorn and a Bugs Bunny cartoon featuring the Tasmanian Devil before settling down to Jimmy Stewart and Doris Day in their classic Hitchcock film. Mike mentioned how much more one notices facial expressions on the big screen. It's true! Not only that, but I don't think I've ever seen "The Man Who Knew Too Much" in it's entirety. Always on TV before... was it ever so much fun! The theater has very limited seating with outdoor recliners. It was great to snuggle up in a blanket and feel the fresh air along with the suspense of the cymbals. :)

SUNDAY, the 5th, I had to wake up for watch... at 0600; so I went back to base very soon after dropping Mike back at the motel. Couldn't believe that I stayed awake for it! It was a 5-hour barracks access watch from 0630 to 1130. The first three hours were wonderful. I was able to have a marvelous quiet time (reading 1 John and praying) and do another chapter of "Ender's Game". The CDO came by for bed checks, and had to find me for not calling in for duty section muster... ha. He called the quarterdeck and told them to look at the watch-bill. :) But then someone else who failed to call in was told (after a uniform inspection) to stand the rest of my watch with me (thanks, so much). He crabbed quite a bit, but at least it was nice to get to know another sonar tech. It's only the random things that allow for that, it seems.

I changed from uniform to civies so fast, I was soon on my way to see Mike. We had another late breakfast, this time at Denny's, then retired to the motel again for a nap. He has a hard time settling down for a good sleep at motels, and was tired too.

I think it was around 3 that we headed out again! We took the trolley to downtown and saw the Maritime Museum on the waterfront. Their main attraction, the Star of India, was built in 1863! It's a working sailing ship, going out each year. They also have the HMS Surprise, a 1970 replica of a 1700's British frigate. This one was very neat, since it was used for the 2003 film "Master and Commander" (Russell Crowe, Paul Bettany) that I saw in the theater with my family. The very informative volunteer on board said it was recently used for "Pirates of the Caribbean 4" as well... maybe I'll have to see that now. :) While we were on board, a sailing ship associated with the museum was doing a harbor cruise and fired several cannon at us. We both jumped... and wished we could fire back. :)

We also toured the soviet submarine (B-39) and the 1898 ferry "Berkeley", the latter having a museum on board, like the Star of India had, with many displays featuring sailing, naval and commercial nautical history. What a time! Indeed! We spent several hours touring four of the eight ships they owned. I had no idea it would be quite so interesting! And it wasn't enough of ships for us! We took a round-trip on the Coronado ferry, took pictures and enjoyed the slow ride together from downtown, across the bay and back.

From there we walked a few blocks up and over (passing through the 1940'ish Santa Fe Depot train station) to Little Italy where we finally enjoyed a fantastic dinner of pollo parmigiana and spaghetti as the sun set behind us. It only took them 24 hours to seat us. :)

Back at the motel (and after another nap) we read a portion of C.S. Lewis's "Four Loves" together, which led to a good discussion.

MONDAY, the 6th. I had it off! I couldn't sleep in too late... my roommate had to get up to graduate! And people were yelling cadence outside, and then the A-school started marching. So I got up-and-at-'em an hour earlier than arranged. Mike and I decided to have the same convenient breakfast at Denny's again, then we were off to the San Diego Zoo's "Safari Park" about an hour north of here. It is basically like the regular zoo, except there is an included tram ride through their wide open fields of giraffe, zebra, antelope, cape buffalo, rhinos and ostrich (and their many eggs). I forgot to bring the directions, but we found a nice guy at a gas station before the exit we needed and made it there just fine. A bit of the drive went through some isolated country of vineyards and u-pick oranges. It was truly lovely.

I think our favorites at the park were the elephants (and their 6 baby elephants!) and the aviaries with exotic birds. The first of those we saw was a large, spoonbill-type pink bird from South America. There was quite a bit of walking involved, and we were there from noon to five! Oh, I forgot to mention the baby rhinos, the baby giraffes, and the baby bighorn (that I wanted to hug very badly). The tour guide from the tram mentioned that "It's June." :) What a wonderful place! Not only all this, but military with active ID's are free, and whoever they're with get discounts! That was very helpful, since it is about twice as expensive as a regular zoo. We had a late lunch near their lagoon for birds, and one particular tall white one was looking on with too much interest. :)

Back in Point Loma, we took another rest, then had dinner at Red Lobster, and finished the perfect day with a Cary Grant/Ginger Rogers film "Monkey Business" for lots of laughs.

But all good things must come to an end. We said goodnight, and this morning I got up very early to pick him up and drive him down the street to the airport. Goodbye, Dear. :( See you sometime soon :)

Jp

2 comments:

James said...

IIRC, the Surprise also appeared as USS Enterprise in an episode of Star Trek - The Next Generation"


**James

niferjen said...

Oh, I've seen that episode! How neat!