Saturday, March 26, 2011

Twenty-Eight

Yesterday was fun! ...after class was let out, of course. We were kept rather late (especially compared to last Friday!), not getting out until 3pm. I spent some time relaxing and cleaning up before I went out on the town with Ferry, the guy I sit next to in class (he had asked me out on Wednesday, I think). I've always been interested in San Diego's "Little Italy", but especially after Mike mentioned it during our trolley ride.

Italian sounded really good, so that's where we went. Little Italy's Spaghetteria was exactly what I had in mind. Gosh, they had some sort of symphony soundtrack playing in the background, and the waiters could actually speak some Italian. It was great to be able to talk to one of my shipmates and get to know him. He's from Pittsburgh, actually, and told me about it a little. He was also homeschooled a few years, but I found out Pennsylvania's "commonwealth" is a bit different from liberal Washington. There isn't any standardized testing for homeschoolers! Wow! Anyway... I had something called "Lumaconi Ripieni" and we shared some incredible cheesy bread.

Afterwords, we got back on the trolley and went further to downtown, just to walk around. We explored the historic "gas lamp quarter" and looked at all the fancy restaurants and touristy shops. They have an Old Spaghetti Factory, just like Washington does! It was a fun little walk, especially with all the bustle of the early evening. We got back on the trolley and returned to base via the 28.

It was some unexpected fun!

Jp

PS... tonight I'm going to "Peter Pan" at the Symphony for another trip downtown. They're accompanying the silent 1924 version... I've never seen such a thing, so it should be neat.

Today I slept in to the natural Saturday sleep-in time of about 9am. Volunteered to be a line judge for a couple hours of the volleyball tournament for our chapter of CSADD. Besides that and a few errands around Point Loma, I stayed on base until nearly 7pm for the concert.

No comments: