Sunday, April 3, 2011

End of the Week (Whew!)

This has been an extra-hard week... class was difficult. I put in an extra 8 hours of study from 5-7 every night, excluding Friday... because it was the weekend!
~
Right after class I practically ran to my room to change clothes and get off base. Went to the library for a bit of volunteering. After my usual re-shelving of the graphic novels, the librarian had me do a special job for her again. They needed lettering taken off giant fish signs so they could just put them out for decoration and free up the space they'd been taking up in the closet. :) Special indeed!
~
Tried out Ortiz's Taco Shop across the street for chicken enchiladas with the strangest, super thin (but delicious) guacamole, and rice & beans. Hung out outside the library, reading a few more chapters in "Mother was a GM" until it was time for the Bible study across the street.
~
There was a group of about 6 couples or so, going through a book called "The Good and Beautiful God"... this week's chapter was on God's generosity... and how we don't earn favor with God for doing or being good, but that he freely gives us his love. Here is the story that was given as the example - the Internet is so useful! I was very excepted into the group and was able to join in just fine. :) It's exactly what I've been wanting.

Saturday the 2nd: was started way too early! My roommate is Phase I, being straight from bootcamp, so she had to muster at 7am! I couldn't quite fall back asleep... so I went to breakfast at the galley (for the first time on a weekend since being here!). I then decided to fix my dress whites so they will be ready in case there is an inspection this coming week. The official turnover from blues to whites is tomorrow. Mine had lots of creases from being folded (in a plastic bag) in the bottom of my seabag since I left bootcamp. :) And I sewed on an E-3 patch as well. Ready!!!

After this, I went to mail a package, explored Shelter Island a little, had a fabulous Chinese lunch of fried rice, chicken, beef & shrimp to go. Caught the 28 down there where it started and strangely enough, met up with my roommate and her friends finally off for some fun when it stopped at Nimitz. From Old Town we took the Green Line trolley north to the Fashion Valley Mall... where I got a haircut (had to wait a half-hour or so... busy place! and read more in "Mother was a GM") where my stylist straightened my hair after shortening and layering it! First time ever for that! Then went shopping, and I couldn't keep my hands off my hair as I walked around. :) Had Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough and Belgian Chocolate ice cream at Haagen Dazs, bought a Donald Duck t-shirt at the Disney Store, then found cute, fancy leather shoes at an expensive store... and indulged myself.

Had interesting experiences on the way back. There was a guy passed out at the transit center... a little sparrow came up to the white pile of throwup on the ground behind the bench from him, tasted it, then shook his poor little head a few times before he hopped away. While waiting on the 28, our driver spoke about starting just recently and encountering lots of crabby drivers and riders alike. A guy came on wanting to know how to get to Point Loma High School... the driver was relieved I knew how... :) I even had a 923 schedule in my bag.

Since my lunch had been so big, I didn't have any dinner there. Just as I was wondering what I'd do since it was time to chat, I found they were doing a free bratwurst bbq! Heaven sent! :)

That brings me to today... where I wondered the same thing about lunch. Slept in late, read 8 chapters in Samuel to catch up... flipped through the earlier books to wrap my head around Israel's history again. Then came out here to Liberty Hall to do Internet and listen to 2nd Chapter of Acts... and they were serving the leftovers. Had a yummy chicken breast. More heaven sent! :)

For the rest of today I think I shall go to the library again and maybe search out a place I can watch the new movie Jane Eyre at.

We shall see.

Jp

Updated at 6pm... no movie, but I did buy a couple books at the library sale, then returned back to base. Enjoyed Ratatouille on TV... then some pie and some reading. Relaxing! :)

No comments: